Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
polycystic ovarian syndrome and pregnancy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

i'm getting married in a few weeks and look forward to having children in the next couple years.  i am a little concerned though because i was diagnosed with a "mild" case of polycystic ovarian disease.  the reason why it's "mild" is because i don't have any symptoms other than the cysts; all my lab-work came back normal, so i don't have the hormonal imbalances.  also, i am a very small, thin young lady.  i didn't have a period for 6 months and they found a few small cysts on my ovaries--that's when i was diagnosed.  i have been on birth control ever since and my cycle comes once a month now, but i am really worried about having to take fertility pills in the future.  i talked to my doctor about it and he said that he'd most likely prescribe me a medicine they give to individuals with diabetes, i don't remember what it's called, but he said it's a common medicine they give to women with PCOS when they want to get pregnant...my concern is this: since i don't fully have PCOS, i will be given this medication and have more than just a few kiddos...i know that taking fertility pills increases your chances of having more than one child.  although that would be wonderful in any other situation, i don't think my body is big enough to fit more than one or two babies (i'm only 100 lbs!) and i would not want to have to choose which ones i want to keep (i would not abort).  i have no idea what to do, and i'd like to consider my options ahead of time...does anyone have any suggestions?
i would not worry so far in advance..i mean yeah it can happen that you might have a multiple pregnancy but the risk of that is higher when taking clomid or doing injectables...your doctor is problably going to put you on metformin and the normal dose for womens with PCOS is 15000mg a day if you have a mild case of PCOS like you said you might even get pregnant being on metformin alone..theres been a lot of ladies who got pregnant on here just on met. you said your on birth control ive heard that once you are ready ttc you should stop birth control and let it out of your system for at least 6 months in the mean time you can take met. to see if you ovulate and it your period is regulated...i have PCOS too and unfurtunally met. alone dint work for..i used this other fertility drug called clomid to induce ovulation and it failed also..so i moved into injectables and im now 9 weeks preggo with my first and its one baby! one your ready start seeying on OB use met. and test if you ovulate if not than i would reccomend an RE they specialize in fertility problems and they will monitore you more closesly than an OB! other than that congrats on your wedding and good luck!
I think what your doc is talking about is metformin and that wont cause multiple eggs don't worry...  
First of all Congratulations on your upcoming wedding. This is a very exciting time in your life. Enjoy it, don't get over burdened by thoughts of future fertility issues. Everyone is different, but I was diagnosed with PCOS. I had the symptoms, high testerone, low pregesterone, 5 week long periods, 7-8 weeks with no periods..so my case was not mild.
I tried one year of fertility treatment and gave up. The doctors had given up on me too and said I would need to adopt or possibly do a string of invitro fertilization. (I was only 28 at the time) I decided to go on birth control to keep my cycles regular. About a year later I had my wisdom teeth taken out and had some problems afterward with eating. I forgot to take my Birth Control for a couple of days and about 4 weeks later I couldn't fight the feeling of being tired and sick feeling. Pregnancy was the furthest thing from my mind, but I was pregnant!
My doctor thought that because I was taking birth control, it helped to keep my hormones in balance and therefore caused me to ovulate when normally I wouldn't because of the hormonal imbalance that accompanies PCOS women.  I have since moved out of that state and found a new doctor here who agrees with my first doctor in regards to the birth control helping me. I am again trying to conceive and he gave me samples of birth control to take for a couple of months to get my hormones in line. I bought the Clear Blue Fertility Monitor and I ovulated this month.  I got a faint postive result this morning on a pregnancy test, so I am hopeful in the days to come It will be more visible.
Don't sweat it now, but you will find your way to motherhood. For some woman it may be a different path, but you'll work that out in the future with your new husband. Good Luck to you and Congrats again.
I am 21. I have PCOS. My doctor has me on Metformin. ( I just started the medicine) My doc says that it hopefully cause me to ovulate.. to increase our chances of conceiving! Every woman is different. Best thing for you to do is to relax... even though people tell me to do that all the time, and I cant figure out how to do that... :)    Its a time to get married, and your husband will be there for you when the time comes! No use starting too early. . there are lots of things out there for you to try before it gets into the expensve scary stuff.... which wont happen! I pray.

Pregnancy or Fertility questions?
100,000+ doctor answers