Fertility / Infertility / IVF Community
statistics for pregnancy at age 38..

This patient support community is for discussions relating to genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), ovulation, pregnancy reduction post-IVF, relationship issues, and sperm count and quality.

If you are trying to conceive for less than one year, please visit our Pregnancy: Trying to Conceive (TTC) Community

statistics for pregnancy at age 38..

i have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility. All tests are normal for me and husand. My RE suggests either IUI or IVF.  

What are the statistics of successful pregnancy rates at my age (full term) between IUI and IVF?  My RE said that for me to get pg normal way, the chance is only 3%, with IUI: 13%, and with IVF: 45%.  

Do you agree?
You didn't mention your age?  But, also other factors make a difference besides age.  We would need more info. to give you our opinion such as:

Have you been on meds?  If so what kinds?  
For how long? How long have you been ttc?  
Oh, oops I see your age is posted on your heading.  Hmm,..38...well if your RE says IVF is 45% chance of conceiving that is pretty good odds considering any couple only has a 10% chance of conceiving each cycle.  I would say go for it.  

Fertility begins to decline for most women at 35, and each year declines even more.  At 42 the decline is "like a waterfall".  The quality and quantity of a womens eggs drop dramatically each month until by 43 pregnancy rates are very low. BUT, with fertility treatments at 38 your chances are pretty good.

Has your dr. done FSH,  progesterone, E2 testing?  Have you been on meds?  
I'm confused. If your infertility in unexplained (mine is too) how can your dr put a % of your natural conception chances? When you say all tests are normal, which tests have been run? Do you o? Are the follicles normal size? Is your lining thick enough? Have you been checked for clotting disorder? Hostile mucous?

I have been ttc for more than 20yrs and got my 1st bfp at 40(2mos b4 41) I lost the baby at 12wks, but all tests showed no genetic defects. It was totally due to strain. I have been the most fertile in my entire life for the past 2yrs. I just turned 42.
Hi...I am now 42, pregnant with no. 2
We had 9 miscarriages before I was 39 then at 40 I gave birth to our little girl who is an absolute delight.
I am newly pregnant again...not sure if it will continue but there is always hope. My philosophy is to not listen to the statistics. It will only bring you down...give it your best shot and what is meant to be will be. Good luck and fairy dust