Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Able to become pregnant, but not stay pregnant

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

I'm 38 years old and ttc to about 2 years.  In 2006 I've become pregnant twice!!! Unfortunatly I m/c very early on, the first one was 7 1/2 weeks, the tissue/sac came out in the hospital.  The second m/c was even earlier, I took 8 hpt and they were all +, but in week 5 I started bleeding.  My doctor has sent me for blood tests, from what I understand many different tests (thyroid, lupas, antibodies?) The good news is that all the bloodwork came back okay.  Now my doctor wants me to get a HSG done, I am scheduled for March 6th.  He wants to see the uterus  for any abnormalities.
Please, I feel like I am running out of time.  Do you have any advice for me?  Should I see a RE? My doctor feels that I don't not need an RE at this time because I am able to become pregnant. He feels that I am able to become pregnant, but have to find out why I can't stay pregnant.  
Please help! Thank You.
javajess,
your doctor is doing the right thing to check your uterus with an HSG, because a uterine fibroid or septum can cause miscarriages.  
the question of who best can manage your situation depends on the results of the HSG.  if the HSG also is normal, and all the appropriate blood tests have returned normal (to rule out chromosome problems in yourself and your husband, thyroid, prolactin, antibodies, clotting tests, etc.) a consult with a reproductive endocrinologist makes sense.  
david
I am sorry for your loss, There are many reasons for early miscarriage. some involve chromosonal defects this happens at the point of conception where the egg may be damaged or the sperm could be damaged, there is no way on earth you or any doctor can stop this and this usually causes an early miscarrige usually in the first trimester. others involve high fever and temperature over 100 and the obvious smoking and drinking can also cause this. I know the statistics don't help however approximately 1 in 4 pregnancy ends in miscarriage when there is nothing physically wrong with you or your partner. I am nearly 34 and had a missed miscarriage on 05/02/2007 i was 9 weeks pregnant and had to have a d&e and again the hospital have advised that they may never know why these things happen. The good news is that you do concieve (conceive) and i am sure you will have a beautiful baby if you keep trying when you are emotionally well enough. The reason we know we are miscarrying is because we are ttc and keep an eye on our periods, most people just put it down to a late period and don't bother with tests but in fact the same could be happening to them without them even realising it. Good Luck and take care
When this happened to my girlfriend, her OB put her on Progestin and baby aspirin.  I guess has to do with not having enough of the hormone to stay pregnant.  I've had one baby but cannot conceive the second and this same doctor put me on the same thing...to give me enough hormone to help implantation.  I guess this is very successful for many people, but my girlfriend has decided they will not try again ( she's 41).  I've only tried this for 1 month so I can't speak as to whether or not it has helped me yet.  This is a much sought after doctor with an excellent reputation here in AZ, so I value her opinion, but I am still a little confused by the treatment and what it actually does.  Can't  hurt to ask your doctor about it though.
Hi if there is a uterine fibroid or spectum can that be fixed? It is done with medication or surgery? Will I be able to have a baby if I have that?
I will definatly seek a RE if the HSG comes back okay along with the negative bloodowork. Thank you very much!!
I just turned 39 and I have had 3 miscarriages in the past year.  I already have a daughter that is 13 years old.  2 of my miscarriages were tested and they both came back with a chromosome problem.  I just had one last month and I told my OB doctor at my visit that I was going to go see a RE and she thought I was jumping the gun, HELLO did I say already that I'm 39!!!  I went on Friday anyway to see the RE and he wrote me out a prescription for progreston already and to start using them as soon as I get pregnant, he also told me that he will monitor me very closley during my 1 trimester, just heard that made me feel better, more then what my OB told me.  I don't have a problem getting pregnant, it's just getting past the 1 trimester.  But he did tell me that if it's chromosome there will be nothing he can do to stop the miscarriage from happening  He also wants to do the HSG but I don't think I'm going to get that done because I'm able to get pregnant, so my tubes shouldn't be blocked, but after I read the doctors post above, I may now consider.  

There is a test called Pre-implantation Genetic Diagnosis, this is used with IVF and what they do it test the cells of the embro and see if there are any chromosome defects before they insert the good cells back into you.  It's very expensive though.

Another thing he told me was that woman that keep having miscarriage because of chromosome problems; the woman that still don't have children is because they gave up and couldn't take it anymore and that chromosome abnormalities are just bad luck and that if you keep trying it will happen, it's basically because of not getting a mature egg.

Where they able to get any testing from the tissues of the miscarriages?
Hi there,
I'm also in AZ and need a good referral to an RE.  Can you tell me the name of the doctor you were talking about in your post above?
This is my first time on here. I have never talked with anyone about my problems. I just have no where to turn. I am 26 years old. I was married at the age of 19 and became PG. I had a beautiful boy who is now 6. My pregnancy was great! no problems what so ever.(if all pregnacies were like that i would have 10 kids!) I was married for 7 years to an abusive husband. I divorced him 2 years ago. I recently got married to someone who loves me AND my son more than anything in the world. We decided to have an other child. I came off my depo shot, that i was on for 6 years, right away. Come to find out, I got PG about 3 months after. I made it to 6 weeks and started bleeding. I misscarried and had a D&C done. We tried again and i miscarried again at about 5 weeks. I passed that one with no problems. that was in dec of 05. Well we decide to give it some time and come to find out (again) i got PG around the same time before my 1st cycle.  I have miscarried that one too at 6w3d. that was 2 weeks ago. I was on baby asprin with the last one. I also had a D&C. My Dr. ran test and said that everything was ok and he cant figure out why i cant hold a pregnancy. I am having a really hard time with this. I'm still young and want another one so bad. sometimes I think this is God's way of punishing me for something. Anyone one have a familiar story? Do I have hope of having another baby?
I have had serveral miscarriages over the past few years and i am 27 and currently 7 weeks pregnant, All my miscarriages they said were a hormonal problem and yes i would be able to get pregnant but i am unable to remain pregnant,
A related discussion, I can get pregnant but not stay pregnant was started.
A related discussion, why does it keep happening?? was started.
A related discussion, multiple miscarriage was started.