Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Am I still fertile a day after ovulation?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

I have been trying to get pregnant for 6 months now and finally purchased a ovulation kit.  When I took the test yesterday for the forth time the lines were both the same darkness.  I thought that this morning the one line would have been darker showing my surge but it actually went back to faint (no surge).  I am now confused about the whole situation.  I am having a little bit of discharge today, which I am sure means I am ovulating.  My husband and I had intercourse two nights ago but not last night (day of surge).  Should we still try tonight or am I past my best time?
When you see surge, this means you will ovulate anytime in the next 12-36h. The best time to have intercourse is the day you first see the surge, and the day after. Research has shown that the most fertile days in the month are two days before ovulation, the day before ovulation, and the day of ovulation. But intercourse up to 5 days before ovulation sometimes can result in a pregnancy. Pregnancies are rare the day after ovulation. Since the LH surge, which is what the urine kits are tracking starts approx 36h before ovulation, peaks 24h before ovulation, and then starts to drop it is possible to test positive one day and then negative the next, and still be in the fertile window.

Conclusion - intercourse the night before the urine tested positive was timed well, in retrospect. It would have been good to have intercourse the day it turned positive. It would be good to have intercourse the day after it first turned positive, even if you tested negative that day.

If you are older than age 35, after six months of trying, it would be worthwhile seeing an infertility specialist. If you are 35 years old or less, it is OK to give things a few more months but certainly not more than a year of trying before seeing an infertility specialist.
It sometimes takes the doctor a couple of days to post answers, so I'll say something in the meantime.  Two lines the same color on most ovulation tests indicates your LH surge.  The LH surge usually occurs 24-36 hours before the egg is actually released.  My Reproductive Endocrinologist says to have sex the day you surge (that is, the day the ovulation test is positive) and also the following day.  You can maybe time it all more precisely next cycle, if needed, but in the meantime, why not try again tonight too.  Personally, I have been using the digital ovulation tests, which give you a smiley face when you ovulate; they are expensive, but at least there's no doubt when you have a positive result!
After I wrote the last post, I realized it wasn't too clear, so I'll try again.  Let's say you do the positive ovulation tests every morning.  Let's say the test was negative at 8 a.m. Sunday morning, but positive at 8 a.m. Monday morning; that means you had your LH surge sometime between those two points in time.  If the surge actually happened at 4 a.m. Monday, you will probably ovulate 24-36 hours later, or sometime on Tuesday.  But if the surge actually happened at noon on Sunday (so that you just missed having a positive test on Sunday morning), you will probably be ovulating on Monday.  So this ovulation testing is never very exact!  Some websites suggest having sex every 48 hours during the time you might be ovulating just to be sure.  The key thing is that the sperm needs to be there before or just as the egg is being released; the sperm can survive several days, whereas the egg cannot.  In light of what you wrote, I think you can't be sure when your surge was, since it sounds like the lines looked the same for four days.  I think a four-day surge sounds unlikely, but I guess the doctor will probably address that.  Having sex two nights ago would have covered you if you ovulated yesterday.  The reason I would try again tonight is in case the surge reading yesterday was the only accurate one, that means you are probably ovulating today or very early tomorrow, in which case you may improve your chances by trying again.  I do hope you get your positive hpt in two weeks!
I received a positive lh surge yesterday morning at 9:00 am (9/22/10)  if i have sex tonight could i get pregnant? ,please answer,asap tx