Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
Chances of pregnancy on the 4th menstrual day

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

I am 29 years old, had sexual intercourse on the 4th day of my menstrual cycle (being the first bleeding day the March 14 morning). I had sexual intercourse on March 17th, no ejaculation inside though. The period lasted around 7 days with light spotting. I thought I started ovulating from March 27 to April 11, since I had recurrent cervical mucus changes.
My usual cycles are 28 - 30 days from each other.
Today is the 39 so far my longest cycle.
I had a lot of stress the weeks I was supposed to be ovulating, and since my last period I lost around 5 pounds, because I got braces and my diet changed a lot.

Last week I started to have PMS-like symptoms, sharp pains on the side of my breast, small cramps and a bit of breast enlargement. The usual that I always have before any menstruation cycle.

I am usually regular at my cycles and I hardly believe that I could changed from regular to irregular less than a month.
What are my chances to have ovulated during my 4th day of menstruation, or my chances of pregnancy if there was no ejaculation?

I took 2 home pregnancy tests last Thursday and Friday, and the both came back negative.
What are my chances of a false negative?
If I take another HPT next week (6 weeks after my last period), if I were really pregnant, would it show already?

Thanks!
Hey! Well hun if he didnt ejaculate inside of you the their is no way you can be pg. I think you shoudl save your money and not buy a hpt bc it will come out neg. I am not trying to be mean or anything but If he didnt ejaculate inside you then it is hard to believe you could be pg.  Your perid should come on soon.  I hope that helped somewhat.

Rachel
Thanks for replying. I am aware that if there was not full ejaculation chances are slim to none. But I'm more concerned at the fact that pre-ejaculation could have occured.
Its not the first time that I've had intercourse during my period and nothing has happened.
I am a bit concerned that this is by far the most longest cycle I've had, my longest was 36 once.

I don't mind having a long cycle. More free days for me :-P
But it does concern me of the fact that I am not wanting to expect and always trusted the first 5 menstrual days as safe days.

My breasts are swollen by now but they don't hurt. I do believe that If I was really pregnant it would have shown.

Still, thank you for replying :)
Hi there,

1.  It is possible to get pregnant without ejaculating inside you because seamen can leak out befor orgasm. It is very unlikely though.

2. It is extremely unlikely to ovulate on Day 4 practically while you are having your period.

3.  Home pregnancy tests give you an accurate reading if you are pregnant the day you miss your period if you have regular cycles.

4. the probability that you are pregnant is extremely low, i put it to less than 0.0001%.

5. Probably you are experiencing some hormonal changes which can explain your symptoms.  
A related discussion, ovulation was started.