Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
anovulatory cycles?

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

anovulatory cycles?

I am 25 yrs old, and I have a 20 mo old. I stopped breastfeeding 2 mos. ago. I would like to get pregnant again naturally and have been charting my cycles for the past few months. I have noticed that I have egg-white quality cervical fluid for a couple days, but I don't have a temperature shift for a few days up to a week afterwards. And I don't have a lot of cervical mucus. My cycles have also been longer than normal - around 38 days. It seems like my temperature shifts up, but is it possible that I am not ovulating?

When I got pregnant with my son, my cycle followed the typical pattern of increasing fertile mucus up to ovulation, and there was a lot of it. It was obvious then when I was fertile, but I can't tell anymore. I am not taking any medication, am slightly overweight (but definitely not obese), and I don't know what else could be wrong. Is it possible that my hormones are out of sync, or is it from stress? Is there anything I can do to increase my chances of getting pregnant?

Dear jonahsmom-

After reading your question, I think there are two issues to consider:

1) are you ovulating?
2) have you given it enough time?

To me it makes sense, with 38 day cycles, to see if you are ovulating yet. If your temperature is shifting up, you are probably ovulating. Also, while your cervical mucous evaluation was helpful before Jonah was born, the fact that it is not giving you clues now may not mean you are not ovulating - it could be that the mucous quality has changed since being pregnant and lactating. Nevertheless, this too is a clue. The best way of telling if you are ovulating is to get a blood test for a hormone called progesterone, which is present in the blood only after ovulation. Since your cycles are a bit long at present, probably a good time in the cycle to have a progesterone drawn is cycle day 25; if less than 3.0 have it repeated a week later. If greater than 3.0, you know you are ovulating.

If you are ovulating, I would just give things time; the longer periods could be due to your being slightly overweight, or to the fact that you just recently weaned your baby, or a combination. You may find that in a few months they become more regular again.

If you are not ovulating, your options are to wait a few months so see if ovulation returns, having just recently stopped breastfeeding, or a mild fertility pill like clomid to help you to ovulate if you want to get pregnant.

Good luck!
Did you gain your extra weight recently? Like during, or after, your pregnancy? I have the same problem (although I am trying for #1) and my doctor says that my weight gain - although I am far from obese - could be causing my late ovulation and generally messed up cycles. She said that fat cells can actually start producing some hormones that can give you problems with your cycles. Even if you  are just a little overweight. But sure, stress is an option, or maybe your body just needs some more time to adjust from the pregnancy?
Good luck!
My Dr. also thinks I have anovulatory cycles.. He sent me for blood work a few months ago and it showed I did not ovulate. I became discouraged and we stoped trying for a few months. But I have an appt tomorrow morning to see what we can start to do. He told me he he is not that concerend because of my age. What would be suggested I heared of clomid .... But I actually do not know exactly how it works. I also heared of a trigger shot.. Does that go hand and hand or is it completely different. The hard part is my husband travels a lot for work are timing is not good anymore.??