Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
hCG trigger 20 minutes after IUI???
About This Forum:

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

hCG trigger 20 minutes after IUI???

Dear Doctor,

I've had my second IUI a week ago which seemed to be a bit unorthodox but I hope it still made some sense.
I ovulate on my own, I have cycles like clockwork. I had my natural LH surge oct 21 at noon (I use opk sticks.).
24 hours later, oct 22 at noon IUI was done. Then... 20 minutes after the IUI I got a hCG trigger shot.
On day the of the IUI I had one mature follie, measured 22mm.

I asked the doctor; the trigger shot was meant to achieve a perfect timing for ovulation and not to boost progesterone.
This procedure just seems odd to me. If I'm not mistaken, when ovulation/IUI timing is the aim IUI is done 24-36 hours after the hCG trigger.

Does that make any sense to you? I mean, wasn't IUI done a bit too early before my ovulation?

Me: 36, unexplained infertility
DH: 37 normal
TTC: 6 years

#1 IUI: Sep 24 - failed (natural cycle)
#2 IUI: Oct 22 - ??? (hCG trigger)
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would have to agree with you that in most instances the hcg is given to trigger ovulation and then the IUI is performed 36 hours later. Sperm can survive in the female reproductive tract for up to 3 days, so it is still possible that conception can occur.  I hope you also took the opportunity to indulge in the good old fashioned technique as well
BTW most doctors don't recommend doing more than 6 IUI cycles.  After that IVF is often recommended.  (I have seen women get stuck going through endless fruitless IUI procedures).  
Also, some doctors believe in doing two IUIs per cycle.
Not sure what your doctor was going for.
Good luck!
Dr B
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker