Fertility / Infertility Expert Forum
pregnant or not???

Questions in the Fertility/Infertility forum are answered by medical professionals. Topics covered include fertility or infertility issues, egg quality, fertility drugs and side effects, fertility tests, genetic testing, in-vitro fertilization (IVF), pregnancy reduction post IVF, ovulation, relationship issues, risk factors, sperm count/quality, and surgery.

pregnant or not???

Me and my husband are trying to have a baby. I've been very sick these last few wks. I took a pregnancy test two wks ago and it said positive. A week later i was having pain in my stomach so i went to the er and they said I'm not preg. I was like what? ?.they said my blood and urine was negative. And they could not find my reason for bieng in pain. How do you get a positive pregnancy test and then negative? .I have been eating alot and peeing alot and I have gained 30 lbs. I have swelling in my legs and feet and I really look pregnant. Nobody has done a ultrasound. I have 3 children but I know this is not normal and I still haven't had a period yet this month and I'm 3 wks over due for one. What do I do? ??
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to repeat the home pregnancy test. If that is negative then you might also wish to repeat the blood test.
It is possible that you had a "chemical pregnancy".  That is actually a very early miscarriage--the pregnancy test is positive and then negative soon afterwards.  Usually there is bleeding like a period following the negative test.
It is also possible that your periods are irregular due to your weight gain--that can definitely affect your hormone balance.
If the pregnancy tests were negative, I would offer you the options of either 1) progesterone to induce a period, or 2) wait and see if your cycle will begin on its own soon.
Good luck!
Dr B