Food Addiction / Sugar Addiction Expert Forum
I think I'm addicted to soda

This forum is a place to ask questions about food additions and to find others who share your interest in the topic of food addiction.

I think I'm addicted to soda

Before I became pregnant again I was drinking soda often now I find myself drink mountain dew a lot I feel like it helps with the nausea I've tried stopping anf a few days soda free I was wanting it so bad and cant stop. What should I do?
1 Comment
Your craving for diet soda could be because of the hormonal impact of your pregnancy. Pregnancy is a time of hormones gone wild: the increases in estrogen, progesterone and human chorionic gonadotropin lead to insomnia, mood disturbances and food cravings. At the very least, pregnant women have abnormal taste and smell perception, which leads to the intense desire for some foods and aversion to others. The nausea that you are experiencing is because of the pregnancy, and carbonated water often soothes this.

But you could also be experiencing an addiction to the diet soda. Diet soda contains three very addictive ingredients: sugar, salt and caffeine. Depending on the size of your can of soda, you could be ingesting from 12 to 22 teaspoons of sugar in your soda. Often sugar is used to mask the huge amounts of salt in your soda. Even if you are drinking DIET soda,there is scientific research which has shown that this is just as addictive as sugar. Rats have chosen saccharine over cocaine. The large amounts of sugar, salt and caffeine are of course unhealthy for you and your baby.

Do you think you might have an addiction to diet soda? This is quite possible. The following are questions that you use to determine if you  may be a food addict. If you ascertain that you are, have a look at this post on my website: addictions unplugged.com, about diet soda addiction.
http://addictionsunplugged.com/2012/02/18/can-diet-soda-lead-to-relapse/

And remember, the way to combat addiction is to eliminate the trigger - in your case, diet soda. You can drink carbonated water instead to quell your nausea.

The 20 questions for food addiction:

1. Have you ever wanted to stop eating and found you just couldn’t?
2. Do you think about food or your weight constantly?
3. Do you find yourself attempting one diet or food plan after another, with no lasting success?
4. Do you binge and then “get rid of the binge” through vomiting, exercise, laxatives, or other forms of purging?
5. Do you eat differently in private than you do in front of other people?
6. Has a doctor or family member ever approached you with concern about you're eating habits or weight?
7. Do you eat large quantities of food at one time (binge)?
8. Is your weight problem due to you're “nibbling” all day long?
9. Do you eat to escape from your feelings?
10. Do you eat when you’re not hungry?
11. Have you ever discarded food, only to retrieve and eat it later?
12. Do you eat in secret?
13. Do you fast or severely restrict your food intake?
14. Have you ever stolen other people’s food?
15. Have you ever hidden food to make sure you have “enough?”
16. Do you feel driven to exercise excessively to control your weight?
17. Do you obsessively calculate the calories you’ve burned against the calories you’ve eaten?
18. Do you frequently feel guilty or ashamed about what you’ve eaten?
19. Are you waiting for your life to begin “when you lose the weight?”
20. Do you feel hopeless about your relationship with food?
Copyright © 2000-2010 Food Addicts in Recovery Anonymous