896?1297802500
Foot Drop User Group
Foot Drop /Braces-Shoes/PT
About This Group:

Foot Drop is a support group. The goal of group is to share information, and connect with others dealing with foot drop. Foot Drop can be caused by stroke, back or spine injury and tumor.

Founded by FMDAdvocate on February 15, 2011
88 members

Foot Drop /Braces-Shoes/PT

Hello, I have had foot drop for over a year following THR. I kept hoping it would get better as they said but the weeks have turned in to months and now a year. I have had nerve tests that show damage to the sciatic nerve---all my pain and numbness if from the knee down. Know one has any clue why this happened. Foot turns inward, not out. Will move down with a lot of effort but not up.
I went to PT a couple of times but all they did was exercises to strengthen my hips, no gait training.
If I don't have my foot in a brace/shoe or ortho boot 24/7 it gets very painful with the buzzing/numbness.
Is there any brace/shoe that I can try so I don;t have to wear a giant athletic shoe? I have the Plastic AFO-cumbersome and digs in, and two carbon fiber types that also dig in to my ankle/foot-hard to fit in shoes. Are nice shoes/sandals out? Any one find a brace they like?
Was there ever any follow up with the person working on a new brace? I see the email she listed in another forum is invalid.
I am getting very depressed. I can't climb steps, walk on anything that is not level, ( hiking and beaches are out) or even get up without having a brace on.
Thanks in advance.
Hi Lynne,

My husband has foot drop for over 3 years now. The scans, MRI he\'s done 3 years ago were all inconclusive, since then he didn't do any follow up.
He wears an AFO, he's sort of ok with it.
Recently I found another type, but not as supportive, though it could work really well for some poeple. It' called foot up.
http://www.aotech.com.au/
(might have a different name in the US). Hubby bought it, and wears it at home.
I guess the nice shoes, sandals are out. You need the support.
But there might be surgeries which could fix your problem.
I try to convince my husband to recheck his condition, but even if his condition is treatable, he's very scared of any surgery.
HI, thanks for the reply. I tried the foot-up but not enough support. I too am scared of another surgery after developing foot drop which they can not explain why from the total hip. I keep hoping for new treatments but from what I hear there really isnt much going on even in trials/testing. Best of luck to you and your husband .
Hi Lynne05 and everyone else in the group. I am so happy I "stumbled" onto this group. I have right foot drop post total hip replacement. I had both knees replaced about eight years ago by the same surgeon. Through all these replacement surgeries never was I told foot drop may be a side effect. I was told the day after surgery and my Doctor also could not determine the cause. He told me it could get better in days, months, years or never at all. I had the hip replacement surgery thinking it would improve my quality of life and instead I now have a disability. It has been six months and I am really angry and very depressed. Not a moment goes by that I am not reminded of this. Reading most of the stories on this forum I have noticed that even though most of you have other disabalities and heart breaking circumstances it is the foot drop that has affected alot of you the most. Every single step is a horrible reminder not to mention the nerve pain and pain all of these braces and AFOs cause. From the time of my diagnosis I have felt on-my own and unable to obtain even general information regarding how to deal with foot drop. There is no brochure showing the choices of braces, what to expect from each of them, what kind of shoes may be comfortable, the types of socks to wear, how to keep cool in hot weather, suggestions on driving and exercises that may be helpful. What we need is a book; "Foot Drop for Dummies".
I am a female so the shoes, skirts and shorts are all issues. I wear a plastic AFO as it seems to give me the most support. I suppose we have to put vanity aside if we want to wear skirts and shorts. I wear sneakers however they tend to put pressure on the AFO which cuts into my foot and causes pain. Thicker socks do help a bit but who wants to wear thick knee socks in the summer? I have found a more fashionable shoe to wear instead of my "dress sneakers" and "casual sneakers". They are a Mary Jane style with a velcro strap. My AFO has an ankle strap which I believe helps my heel from slipping out of the shoe. Not sure if I can mention the brand but here goes; "Propet" Mary Jane has a removable insole and comes in wide and double wide. I have to remove the insole from the "good foot" and replace with a thicker insole to make my legs somewhat even. During the winter with the thicker insole and thick socks I got away with just one size of the shoes however during the summer I think two sizes of shoes will be better considering I want to wear thinner socks. This week I have an appointment with my Orthotist to try an AFO liner. If it works I will not have to wear bulky and hot knee socks and I hear that even some sandals may work. Anyone tried this liner? I have ordered different styles of shoes and some sandals. I will let everyone know if this works. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I apologize for being so wordy. Now that I have told my story I promise my future posts will not be so lengthly. I think it is important for us to not only support each other but to offer "helpful hints" on every day living with foot drop ie. braces, exercises, driving and activities which some of you are able to do such as swimming, biking, running, etc..Perhaps right now I can be of some help for us women in search of comfortable AND stylish shoes. I hope this does not sound trivial but it is the "little things" that will add up to our coping with foot drop.
Lynne05 you are the first person I have had contact with who have foot drop as a result of THR and noone can give us a reason. Did you know that the odds of this happening is in most cases less than 1%? I knew I should have tried for the 640 million dollar lottery prize!
Moe, your post was not at all wordy! You summed up very well how I feel and a lot of the issues in relation to foot drop-lack of info, lack of shoes, uncomfortable braces, no mention of this as a side effect from THR, the constant pain as well as the emotional toll that it takes. If you are able to find sandles that work I would be interested in what you find! I have went through dozens of braces. They all have their drawbacks-no one perfect that is comfy let alone not a fashion eyesore. I would love to wear something other than a giant athletic shoe. I was given the weeks/months prognosis as well. In rare cases 18-24 months. I am at 14 months with no signs of improvement. Waiting on the latest brace they are making. Not heard of the liner.
I am lucky I can drive but not as far due to the fatigue of having to use my entire leg/hip instead of turning my foot. I would be interested in hearing if others go swimming. Hiking on the beach bare foot is out for me. Stairs are a real challenge. It's nice to find other people who have this ( not nice that they do suffer from it) -The Foot Drop for Dummies Book would be a huge plus. We will have to be each others book. I keep going to different places hoping each new Dr will come up with a better brace. What really gets to me is like you the Dr can not give me a reason how this occurred. He did both my hips-they turned out great, but the 2nd surgery I woke up with the dreaded dead foot. Does anyone here have to wear a night brace? My foot is inverting and the tendons are tightening up. They say I may have to have surgery to correct this. I had a boot they gave me in the hospital but it is cumbersome.  They want me to wear an even heavier one with a tension thing on it to pull my foot back in to a more natural position. Better than surgery I suppose. With those odds I bet we should have won the lottery! I will post on the new brace, hoping it arrives this week.
Sorry for the delay in talking with you & the fact you developed foot drop. I tried every type of sock made.  Living in Florida, I was always hot and then one day I realized I didn't have to wear a sock! I wear an Ossur AFO Lite. This is my 3rd AFO and so far the best since I am still very active in spite of complete foot drop. I do get tired quickly from my good leg compensating for the atrophied leg. I completely agree with your comment about book FootDrop for Dummies. There is nothing available unless foot drop caused by MS or stroke. I was evaluated for the Bioness & Walk Aide which didn't work for me since my injury is from lumbar nerve injury. No research being done either which is very frustrating! I know how you feel being limited in wearing a shoe. I miss flip-flops so much..... I did find a pair of black ECCO shoes with a Velcro strap which have the removable insert. Blessings to you my new friend.
I tried to wear a night brace but couldn't sleep since hard to turn over in bed.
We purchased a bed with a foot board and a hard tempurpedic pillow. I tuck in the bottom sheet and push my foot against the pillow. It is working, yeah.
My nerve pain is always worse at night time? Is yours too? I understand exactly your words about the emotional toll, etc...I am 2.5 years now and everyday I take my first step out of bed and think is today the day my foot will work.
Please let me know if anyone finds a sandal. What type of AFO are you in now?
My prayers are with you.
rodansdog joined this group
Welcome them!
Jul 17
22Hope221 joined this group
Welcome them!
May 08
ustie joined this group
Welcome them!
May 07