Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community
Can a Gist be mistaken for a Polyp

WELCOME TO THE COMMUNITY: This Patient-To-Patient Community is for discussions and support relating to Causes, Clinical Trials, Complications, Diagnosis, Living With Issues, Prognosis, Questions to Ask Your Doctor and Treatment Options for GIST.

Can a Gist be mistaken for a Polyp

My mother has been having tests for a very low platelet count since January and has recently been diagnosed with MDS.   On the 12 May she had a camera down her throat and the results told us she had a polyp that after biopsey was not a problem and no other problems.    On the 24 May she was admitted to hospital after an internal bleed and nearly lost her life.  After that incident she required five pints of blood and platelet transfusions.  They have since then been trying to find out why she had bled.   Originally the doctor told us that it had been caused after the polyp bled on biopsy but now they say that she has a Gist which she has to have removed by surgery.  Is this Gist what was originally diagnosed as a polyp and should it have been diagnosed when she had the camera test and biopsey.  I am just very confused as to whether she has received the correct diagnosis so far and should I have confidence in what they are telling us as an operation is quite risky due to her low platelet count.  
Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor Community (GIST) Community Resources
1 hr ago by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank