Grief & Loss Community
Missing mom...my best friend

This patient support community is for discussions relating to overcominggrief and loss.

Missing mom...my best friend

I don't necessarily know how to write this
I lost my mom my best friend my confidante on October 28, 2012...She was 76 and I am 48 I am not so sure as I write how I am getting through the days..the pain is very intense the loss unimaginable...I have 2 brothers who also are struggling as we lost our dad 6 years.ago and as painful as that was..we had to pull strength for mom. But losing mom we all now feel like orphans and with huge holes in our hearts that we are wondering will it ever repair. It has not been very long but I don't know how to begin the process. I know I'm rambling.. I guess I'm just reaching out to others going through the same that may be able to help me with the healing process..I would love to hear your stories as I am wounded...Thanks for reading
I am so very sorry for your loss, my heart goes out to all of you.  I understand how you're feeling as I lost both my parents in a car accident when I was 25.  It's a very difficult loss because although we know we will lose them one day...I don't think we really believe it.  So when it does happen, we are still stunned and extremely hurt and lost.  I remember thinking "what about all the things my kids do...who will I share this with?"  Just knowing that they were not on this earth and never coming back was difficult to wrap my heart and head around. But your parents raised wonderful children and they will live on in your hearts.  They will shine through in all you do!  Living a happy and respectable life is what they both want more than anything for all of you...this will make them smile as they look down on you.  Take it one day at a time or you'll feel so overwhelmed.  One thing that has always helped me is to journal all your feelings, thoughts, and memories...it's a form of release for us and has proven to be very therapeutic...even if you just toss them away.  But if you keep them...one day you will read your journal and smile, others you'll cry.  You'll always miss your parents but they raised you to go on and live the happiest life possible...do this for them and yourselves.  Do something in honor of your parents...plant a tree, write letters to them and release them tied to balloons...anything is okay so long as it makes you feel better.  Let your loss pull you and your siblings together, and support each other.  If you continue to struggle you may want to go to grief counseling, but you need to be patient with yourself and your pain.  I hope this helps, and big hugs to you.
Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond. I really lime your journal idea...that seems like a real reachable goal and like you said it will serve multiple purposes....I'm for sure going to do that. I am also sorry for your loss that had to be real hard both of them at once..my heart goes out to you. Thank u again I will check in with you in a few weeks and let you know where I stand....xo
Thank you for your kind words, and I'm happy to help.