907?1298410043
GroupTrack: We Want a Natural Birth User Group
Documentery
About This Group:

For women and men who believe that birth is a natural process that requires little or no medical intervention welcome to We Want a Natural Birth. For those who are unsure about natural childbirth please join us as we will use many MedHelp trackers, health pages, polls, FAQ's, videos and resources to share about the pros, cons, delights and fears of birthing naturally. This is a peaceful place of refuge for expecting mommies and daddies alike! Please note that I am not a medical professional and this forum is a public domain. If you have any medical concerns you will always be asked to consult with your doctor or midwife. I will also be posting links to graphic birth photos and videos (you will always be forewarned).

Founded by JoyRenee on February 22, 2011
52 members

Documentery

Just wanted to let you ladies know there is a great documentary that was made in 2008 called Pregnant in America and it has a lot of information in it and promotes natural birth. I learned a lot from it and it helped me to understand that I dont have to agree to what the doctor says next time as long as the baby and I are safe. Just wanted to share it with everyone. They also have a website www. PREGNANT IN AMERICA. com just take out the spaces.
I just bookmarked that on my Netflix Instant Watch! I'll definitely be watching it. Perhaps everyone can try to get a copy somehow (library, Netflix, Blockbuster or similar place, etc.) and we can discuss it.

I actually wasn't really sure what it was about (like if it was more of a "One Born Every Minute" video or more "Business of Being Born" like). My husband and I were just browsing the documentaries on Netflix and I saw it and started smacking his shoulder in excitement and told him to bookmark it for me! LOL!
I found it online and started watching. Still have some more to finish, but so far, it's amazing and eye opening!!!
If I remember I'll try to watch this the night my husband does band practice. I don't think he'll want to watch it but if I watch it and like it then I'll probably make him, LOL! I made him watch The Business of Being Born (after our third daughter was born naturally and with the midwives I switched to my 9th month of pregnancy). He was mightily impressed and realized I had NOT gone off the deep end. In our culture birth is one way and doing it naturally or with midwives is "weird" or not normal so he didn't really get it. He gets it now!
Okay I'm going to clarify what I just wrote because I'm so tired it came out jumbled. When I was 9 months and told my husband I was switching to midwives and having our third daughter naturally he thought I had gone off the deep end and was just crazy and endangering our baby's life. We finally decided midwives in a hospital setting was a great compromise (he had the security of the hospital and I had the Midwifery Model of Care). After she was born I had him watch the video and it was like the lightbulb came on. He was already impressed and proud of me for going natural and finally realized WHY I desired to have her the way I did.
I am trying to get my hubby to watch these documentaries with me...but I usually watch them at night in bed and if he tries watching anything with me, he ends up falling asleep within 10 minutes. lol :P It would take a while for us to finish watching it!! haha
But I tell him about it and he totally agrees that women have just fallen into the hospital routine and think midwives are crazy and no good. It makes me wonder, why or how has child bearing changed so much in the last 40-50 years?  Women have been giving birth since the beginning of time. In other countries, some women think Americans are crazy for giving birth in a hospital and having certain interventions when they are not necessary. Women are strong and were built for this, but we all have been told we shouldn't have to be in pain and midwives are evil and not safe. Ahhh, anyway, education is key! If I wasn't such a chicken, I would love to be a midwife!
We watched it last night! Surprisingly Daniel turned to it on Netflix and paused for a second. I told him we should play it and see what it is like. He told me he'd watch the first few minutes... we ended up watching the whole thing! About halfway through I teased him and said, "Okay, turn it off! You've watched a few minutes!" He laughed and just said, "Whatever!"

He's still not sold on home birth but there are a couple of birth centers that take our insurance so we may go check those out. I don't mind staying where I am at either but a birth center would allow water birth and the hospital doesn't (they allow labor in water and if you happen to push they make you stand up so baby isn't birthed into the water *EYE ROLL*).

Anyway the documentary was really good. I still like Business of Being Born better but they pretty much covered all the same stuff and even had some of the same experts. Like one of the experts at the end, the woman who started getting choked up when she said, "It makes me SO sad that women allow themselves to be put through the system like they are..." I started getting choked up, too. I WAS one of those women and I'm proud to say I've taken my births back.
I just want to say that I love the documentary "The Business of Being Born"  I think it was great to lay out some hard statistics like that, I actually just mentioned that too on my journal---  http://www.medhelp.org/user_journals/show/295430/Natural-Birth--Why-does-the-medical-system-not-support-this-more?personal_page_id=2138151

It is so frustrating that every time I go to give birth I feel like I am being treated like I have a severe medical condition instead of being treated like a woman with natural occurrence.
Im gonna watch it right now on netflix,i hope i find it.
ChitChatNine is happy! Comment
stacey10 commented on Moma_Cher's status
dcsteed Waiting for O.. Just want i... Comment
Jul 21