Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Brown Discharge 7 days post period

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Brown Discharge 7 days post period

I started my period on the 14th and finished on the 18th. Everything was normal that week. My boyfriend and I had sex on the 22nd and the 23rd and yesterday afternoon, I noticed some brown discharge when I went to the bathroom. I was kind of crampy all evening.
I'm not crampy today but I'm still having this brown discharge.
I've been on birth control for 2.5 months and my boyfriend and I used a condom. I know that right after you have your period, brown discharge is normal cuz it's the old blood but I've never had this happen so many days after my period ended.
I've been reading about others in similar situations on other sites and starting to scare myself. Any idea what this could be??
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you to do a pregnancy test first,  Then if that is negative, I would advise you that what you have is probably just breakthrough bleeding.  It is more common if you have missed a pill or taken one late.  It will probably stop when you start your next package of pills.
There are some other ways to get it to stop sooner (eg doubling up your dose for a few days) if you want to contact your doctor, he/she could probably help you out.
Good luck!
Dr B