Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Change in Vaginal Discharge Taste
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Change in Vaginal Discharge Taste

My boyfriend recently told me that my discharge tastes sour -- I tried it for myself and indeed it has a very strong sour taste to it -- so much that I almost gagged when I tasted it.  I never tasted like this before -- the only time I taste "different from the norm" is before menstruating where I have a slightly metallic taste.  This sour taste is completely different and doesn't even have a hint of my normal taste.  

I can't tell you when exactly it began because I didn't realize until I tasted it myself which is maybe 3 or 4 months.  I do not have an itching, burning, redness, nor does my discharge smell, and I have tested negative for STDs.  I also noticed the taste is most sour off my vaginal wall (my apologies for being so explicit).  I am not on birth control because on two different occassions I had bad side effects.  My diet has not changed until 3 weeks ago (this has been going on longer).  I removed the majority of processed foods from my diet, drink 8 glasses of water daily, and have yogurt daily but to no avail.  I also do not douche and was myself with plain olive oil soap which is fragrance and ingredient free.  Also, I don't think it's BV because in early November I was put on minocycline after having an abortion.  I am waiting for my gyn appointment but they could not get me in until after the 20th.

Why has my taste changed and what do I do to get my old taste back?  This has gotten to the point where it is on my mind 24/7 and it is ruining my sex life --I totally shy away from sex now, and when I do have it I can't enjoy it because I am constantly thinking about this.

Thank you in advance for your help.