Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Change in Vaginal Discharge Taste

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Change in Vaginal Discharge Taste

My boyfriend recently told me that my discharge tastes sour -- I tried it for myself and indeed it has a very strong sour taste to it -- so much that I almost gagged when I tasted it.  I never tasted like this before -- the only time I taste "different from the norm" is before menstruating where I have a slightly metallic taste.  This sour taste is completely different and doesn't even have a hint of my normal taste.  

I can't tell you when exactly it began because I didn't realize until I tasted it myself which is maybe 3 or 4 months.  I do not have an itching, burning, redness, nor does my discharge smell, and I have tested negative for STDs.  I also noticed the taste is most sour off my vaginal wall (my apologies for being so explicit).  I am not on birth control because on two different occassions I had bad side effects.  My diet has not changed until 3 weeks ago (this has been going on longer).  I removed the majority of processed foods from my diet, drink 8 glasses of water daily, and have yogurt daily but to no avail.  I also do not douche and was myself with plain olive oil soap which is fragrance and ingredient free.  Also, I don't think it's BV because in early November I was put on minocycline after having an abortion.  I am waiting for my gyn appointment but they could not get me in until after the 20th.

Why has my taste changed and what do I do to get my old taste back?  This has gotten to the point where it is on my mind 24/7 and it is ruining my sex life --I totally shy away from sex now, and when I do have it I can't enjoy it because I am constantly thinking about this.

Thank you in advance for your help.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would probably suggest re-running all of the tests such as those for Chlamydia, yeast, BV, trichomonas, etc. If anything is positive, that is your answer.  If not ( they probably won't be positive ) I would suggest that you try a couple of different things:
Probiotics can be very helpful in restoring normal vaginal bacteria.  
Also, it might be worth a try to use a (vinegar and water only) douche once.
Some of my patients have even tried using yogurt with live lactobacillus cultures vaginally--like a douche or yeast cream.
Then, if all else fails, you might want to invest in a flavored lubricant.  Just be careful that it has only natural ingredients if you do use such a product.
Hope this helps!
Good luck!
Dr B
PS--if you are a swimmer, you might want to take some time off.
1 Comment
Maybe u got ***** rot bc u killed your baby. Karma's a ***** right
A related discussion, Why does my vaginal dicharge taste sweet? was started.