Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Having problems inserting a tampon

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Having problems inserting a tampon
I am 15 years old and have recently had problems inserting a tampon. I have had my period since I was 11 but have just decided to use tampons. I went to my doctor for this and she had me try to insert the tampon and with no success,  she easily inserted the tampon on the first try. I have read all the instructions and seen all diagrams and still have not been successful. I have tried using ky jelly and all different positions. I am using the smallest tampax pearl with plastic applicators. What am I doing wrong?
Hi!
One tip might be to try the Ob tampons that come without applicators.  They seem to be easier for new users.  Applying some KY is a good idea.

It also might be helpful to get a diagram of the female anatomy--American College of OB/gyn or Wikepedia are good sources, and a mirror.  Don't be afraid to insert your finger first, and then follow the same pathway with the tampon.

There is a lot of trial and error involved, so don't be afraid or ashamed.  You will be able to learn to do it!

Good luck!
Dr B