Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
I've been on my period for 2 weeks and have large clots

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

I've been on my period for 2 weeks with no end in sight. I started a week earlier then i was supposed to. I had spotting one night and then nothing the next day. So i thought maybe it was implant bleeding but then the next day I got my period. I know it sounds weird but my period this time just doesn't feel normal. I had moderate flow for about 4 days then I was done, or so I thought. I went a day with just a little spotting and then the next night i started bleeding very heavy and went to the restroom and sat on the toilet and the blood kept flowing. (sorry if its to much info) When i wiped there was alot of blood and I got up and saw a HUGE blood clot probably 5-6 in long and an ince or so wide. After that happend I slowed back down to moderate and have been bleeding like that since. That happened about a week ago and i've been flowing since. Today i just passed a big clot again so i'm thinking something is not right.

I've never had a period last this long nor have i past clots like this. I normally pass little clots which i know is ok but never this big. I made an appt and the earliest I can get in is next wed? I don't want to be bleeding for another week. Is this something to be concerned about and should I try to get into a different dr or is it normal? What could be the cause of this?
Hi!
The first thing I would recommend, if you were my patient, is a pregnancy test. (I ALWAYS recommend a pregnancy test!) If that is positive, I would send you to the emergency room.
  If that is negative, the next thing I would suggest is that you start some iron therapy. I like Slow Fe--its over the counter. Then I would ask you to come in for a complete exam and ultrasound.  I would check your cervix to be certain that you don't have a polyp, or prolapsed fibroid.  If that was negative, I would check an ultrasound to see if you have an abnormal thickening of the lining of the uterus.  Then, depending upon your age, I would consider an endometrial biopsy (If you are over 35).  
I would then decide how best to stop the bleeding. Two alternatives are progesterone or birth control pills.  Pills will work quickest.
What you have going on is not "normal" but it is fairly common, and can be treated, but you definitely need to keep your appointment!
Good luck!
Dr B
That does not sound normal and I would definitely go to the Doctor as soon as possible. It may have been anything from a miscarriage all the way to cervical cancer. I don't want to scare you, but the most logical, reasonable thing to do would be to go see a Doctor. That way, if it is something to be concerned about, at least they'll be able to catch it early. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out!!!
A related discussion, what to do about my period? was started.
A related discussion, Thick lining/heavy bleeding was started.
A related discussion, can someone tell me whats happening? was started.