Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
PCOS

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

PCOS

Dear Dr, I am from UK and I am 24 years old. Recently I was referred to gynecology by my GP. I've been released from the gyn clinic but I have been worrying about a couple of things. The Dr said I fell into the polycystic ovarian syndrome category. I have midcycle bleeding (brown blood, sometimes it can be mixed with red). It can last about 5 days, sometimes less, sometimes up to a week or more. The transvaginal scan showed the symptoms of PCOS and I also have visible symptoms of excess hair. They said not to be worried about cancer. However, I am going through a bad time with anxiety and I worried about something else. I had looked this up some time ago and found a lady with similiar symptoms to mine, who asked a Doctor on the 'Just Answer' website. He talked about possibility of fibroids and when she said her Dr looked for this he talked about some kind of cancer...I think to do with the lack of proper ovulation, and to get a different kind of scan. Though I remember the lady replied saying her Dr didn't see the need for this. I tried to find this site to see why her case was different to mine but can't find it. Is there any reason for me to be worried about cancer if my own gynae didn't? I trust the gynae I visited but my anxiety is playing up because of this answer I read online - the online Dr seemed very experienced which is why it caused me to worry. Thank you Dr.
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would advise you that with chronic anovulation (consistently not ovulating each month) the lining of your uterus can become thickend over time.  If this goes on for years it can become malignant--endometrial cancer.  The way to avoid this is to be certain that you have a period at least every three months (4x per year).  This can be done by taking medications such as oral contraceptive pills or progesterone.  Ask your doctor about these options--usually the easiest is the pill, unless you are trying to conceive.
Hope this helps!
Dr B