Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Post op wound drainage
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Post op wound drainage

Hi, I had an ovarian cyst drained and some scar tissued removed laparascopically on Thursday.  I woke up to find a silver dollar size orange drainage on my sheets from my belly button.  I just got back from the movies and noticed more drainage on my shirt and when I went to the bathroom, I soaked a square of TP with more light red drainage.  Is this ok?
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would ask you to watch the drainage carefully.  IF you are diabetic, get the incision evaluated right away.  If not, it is probably a seroma which is a collection of blood and fluid under the skin (basically a big bruise).  In most cases these will heal on their own, especially if they are draining spontaneously,  In some cases the incision needs to be drained by a doctor and antibiotics administered.  IF the drainage gets cloudy or thick, or IF the surrounding  area gets red or purple, it could be evidence of infection.  Also if you have fever or severe pain in the area, get evaluated.
In the majority of cases it just takes a few extra band-aids.  Good luck!
Dr B
2 Comments
Blank
3185070_tn?1344704177
Thank you and I am not diabetic. It already is red around it.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
603463_tn?1220630455
Elaine Brown, MDBlank
Elaine Brown, MD - BLOG
Billings, MT
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now