Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Post op wound drainage

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Post op wound drainage
Hi, I had an ovarian cyst drained and some scar tissued removed laparascopically on Thursday.  I woke up to find a silver dollar size orange drainage on my sheets from my belly button.  I just got back from the movies and noticed more drainage on my shirt and when I went to the bathroom, I soaked a square of TP with more light red drainage.  Is this ok?
Hi!
If you were my patient, I would ask you to watch the drainage carefully.  IF you are diabetic, get the incision evaluated right away.  If not, it is probably a seroma which is a collection of blood and fluid under the skin (basically a big bruise).  In most cases these will heal on their own, especially if they are draining spontaneously,  In some cases the incision needs to be drained by a doctor and antibiotics administered.  IF the drainage gets cloudy or thick, or IF the surrounding  area gets red or purple, it could be evidence of infection.  Also if you have fever or severe pain in the area, get evaluated.
In the majority of cases it just takes a few extra band-aids.  Good luck!
Dr B
Thank you and I am not diabetic. It already is red around it.