Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Should I be on birth control?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Should I be on birth control?

I am 30 years old and have always had regular periods (with the exception of one month), normal pap smears, and no problems with my skin.  About three years ago, my gynecologist prescribed me birth control when I visited him after having a period that lasted two weeks.  After that, my period regulated and I discontinued use of the birth control. I have chosen to practice abstinence and so I have never taken birth control except for the short time mentioned above. My doctor did give me refills each year in case I chose to change my mind.    

However, I just read that use of birth control can reduce your risk of ovarian cancer and I was unaware of this and my doctor never mentioned it.  I have since moved to a new city and have an appointment with a new gynecologist coming up shortly.  Do you think I should discuss this with him and consider taking birth control for this benefit?  

Thanks so much!