Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
UTI or herpes?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

UTI or herpes?

A few days ago I noticed pain upon urination. It was right after the night I had sex with my boyfriend. The following morning I called my gynecologist and went in for a urine test. The results did not come back yet but the nurse said it's probably UTI because they did see some blood in my urine. They also prescribed some medication to me. The pain did go away a bit- just after two days of using the medication. I'm really concerned it could be herpes because I did look to see if anything is there. I saw some red bumps on my inner lips and it feels a bit dry down there two. Nothing is coming out of these bumps but they do feel a bit itchy from time to time. (It's also hard to tell because I just got my period yesterday). It hurts when I wipe right where the bumps are on the left side. When I visited the doctor's office the nurse told me I shouldn't be concerned about STD's- although I only told hurt about the pain upon urination because I was not yet aware of the red tiny bumps. Can you get these bumps with UTI or can this be fungus or herpes?

did go away a bit (after 2 days of use of medication
I'm just concerned it could be herpes

on the back because I did look to see if anything is there. I saw some red bumps and maybe a bigger whitish one. These bumps do not really bother me and nothing is coming out of them. I also experience some discomfort, some biting kind of pain

The nurse told me I shouldn't be concerned about that. (It hurts the most when I have to go to the bathroom and after wiping).

If you think you might have an herpetic outbreak you should return to your physician to be examined and to confirm a diagnosis.  

Best regards,

Dr. Downing
The red bumps disappeared after 3 days. My doctor told me it's not herpes but now they don't know what it could be and why I had the pain (which is also gone).