Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vaginal Odor w/no itching or discharge
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Vaginal Odor w/no itching or discharge

I have had my IUD for going on 2 1/2 yrs but for the past couple of months I have been expirenceing vaginal odor off and on. I have never had vaginal odor or any STD's. Can my IUD be causing the odor? I have the Mirena
Related Discussions
603463_tn?1220630455
Hi!
Yes, I suppose it is possible.  An IUD can become colonized with bacteria that produce an egg-like smell.  This "infection" can be treated with antiboitics if necessary, without removing the IUD.  It is also possible that you have developed bacterial vaginosis.  This is just a shift in the normal vaginal bacteria.  The "good" bacteria get "lazy" and allow the "bad" bacteria to over grow and produce a fishy smell.
This condition can also be treated with antibiotics
Any good provider should be able to sort out what is going on and give you the appro-
priate therapy!
Hope this is helpful!
Dr B
1 Comment
Blank
A related discussion, merina and bad odor was started.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank