Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vaginal bulge

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Vaginal bulge

My symptoms started immediately after straining with constipation about four weeks ago.  I felt a bulge in my vagina, just above the opening which didn’t go away.  Other symptoms followed: an increased clear discharge and a constant feeling of pressure in my rectum.

The bulge in my vagina was most noticeable when my bowel was full and especially when I had just evacuated my bowels and I felt the need to put supporting pressure on my perennium/vagina when I did so.  I have no pain.  Just an uncomfortable feeling.

My GP thought I had a stage 1 prolapse and referred me to a consultant.  The consultant examined me but could find nothing wrong.

Now, four weeks later, The bulge is hardly noticeable, except when I have just evacuated my bowels, but the feeling of pressure in my rectum still persists and is uncomfortable.

I am waiting for further tests for a possible cyst or fibroids.  But although I am no doctor, I feel this is a problem with the wall of my vagina/rectum, especially as it happened so suddenly after straining.  

I would be grateful for any comments.
Hi!
Your history and symptoms are classic for a rectoceole or paravaginal defect.  I don't want to be too graphic, but if you were my patient, I would want to examine you both supine and standing.  I would also ask you to strain.  I would need to insert fingers in both the anus and vagina.
(with gloves of course, and not the same finger!)

I would strongly encourage you to see a reconstructive pelvic surgeon or urogynecologist who specializes in pelvic floor problems.

The good news is that this is a correctable (if you wish) problem and not dangerous to your health otherwise.

Good luck!
Dr B
I forgot to mention my age - 53 and the fact that I am still mensruating.
Thanks for that.  It's very reassuring.  My symptoms feel as though they are improving, particularly the vaginal bulge.  Is that possible?