Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vaginal infections

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Vaginal infections
I have currently been having vaginal discomfort for a week or so. Intense burning and itching have just started to occur within the last 2 days. I do not have medical insurance, so I have bought OTC drugs to try and help. Should I make an appt anyway? Does this sound like a normal yeast infection or something a little more serious? It is making my days long and miserable and I am completely uncomfortable, sometimes to the point where I just want to lie around so there is no contact with pants or underwear.
Hi!
There are two things that I know of that can cause this type of symptoms, the first is yeast, the second is herpes.  If you were my patient, I would advise you to try the over the counter medication for yeast.  It should work very quickly, if not, you should get an appointment with your doctor.  If it doesn't get better you may need prescription medications.
Good luck!
Dr B