Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
Vulvar eczema?

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Vulvar eczema?

For a while i have had itchiness on my right labia majora. I looked at it the other day and the skin seems to have darkened in the itchy region and thickened as well. when I itch it--it sometimes flakes. i was wondering if it is vulvar eczema. i also have eczema on my hands. if it is what exactly do i do to treat it--if it isnt what do you think it is> thanks
Hi!
It IS possible to have vulvar eczema, and we usually use topical steroid creams for that condition.  However, any lesion like the one you are describing should be biopsied first.  One thing that can look and feel (itchy) like you mention, is vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN) which is precancerous and should be removed.  I suggest an appointment with your gynecologist for a biopsy, and then he/she can prescribe the appropriate steroid cream if it is eczema.  Or take the lesion off entirely if that is appropriate, too.

Good luck!

Dr B
Reading the answer given, Could VIN affect the whole vulva area??, not just a small part.

I agree that you should have a biopsy done to be sure that you treat the right condition.  A biopsy is easy done, i have just had one taken, and awaiting results.  I hope you can get treatment quickly and be free from itching soon.

It could be eczema, psoriasais, dermatitis.  I am no doc, but the symptoms sound similar to mine, and that is what i have been told may be causing it.  But again, having a biopsy taken is the only sure way of knowing what is happening down there.  
Best of luck, keep in touch.