Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
irregular periods

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

irregular periods

Ok so about a year ago I stop taking the pill. my periods have been really messed up since. I miss a period then the next month start on schedule but it will last a few weeks. Then i will have a few regular periods. Then I will miss for a month or two and the cycle will continue. So I am not about a month late again I have taken a pregnancy test and negative results. I am 22 years old and for the past month I have experienced hot flashes. Also I have been having trouble urinating it seems as though i always have to pee but just a little or nothing when i try.  I'm not stressed I just dont know what is wrong.
HI!
It sounds like you may have a UTI.  If you were my patient, that is what I would treat first,  Then, I would do some testing to find out why you have irregular cycles.  The tests I usually start with are thyroid panel, prolactin level, and FSH.  The MOST common reason for irregular periods is PCOS or polycystic ovary syndrome.  It is very common.  You can Google PCOS and find a wealth of information on it.
If you DO have PCOS and are not trying to get pregnant presently, the easiest way to regulate your cycles is with birth control pills.
Hope this helps!
Dr B
I never get a period need help!!!!
Hello, Im 12, and im getting worried about my periods, they just started november 27th 09' , and they haven't stopped. Im worried becuase I have searched on google and stuff and is says about tests, and seeing doctors, etc. But im very shy about that kind of thing, and even with my mom, I dont really want to say about it. What should I do? x
Hi. i know you would have loved the doctor to answer you that question but i think i should tell you that  On my first period i had them for two weeks. i was alittle worried. I talked to my mom and she told me that its normal. and after that i had irregular periods till now. but i think mine are caused by climatic changes i travell quite a lot

What i would advice you to do is go to a gynecologist and one thing you should know about them is that they are very secretive and you dont really have to be worried. I Know at your age you love having your own privacy and secrets but you have to open up to your mom for your health's sake. Remember its your life and you have to be careful about it. Think about tour life gal.
Good Luck.
I'm 26 and my periods are very short the most recent only lasted a day and a half. I was wondering is it okay or should i see a doctor. I don't think im pregnant because two yrs ago i had my tubes tied. i don't know should i feel lucky or worried.