Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
my complex ovarian cyst - is it ovarian cancer?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

my complex ovarian cyst - is it ovarian cancer?

Hi,

I'm trying to figure out my Risk of Malignancy Index (RMI) to ascertain whether I have ovarian cancer or a benign cyst.  The part I'm having difficulty with is figuring out the ultrasound score from the ultrasound report. Can you help me?

One point is assigned for each of the following: a multi-locular cyst (sort of like a cluster of large grapes), solid areas, evidence of spread (metastases), abnormal free fluid (ascites), or masses on both ovaries. Here's what my ultrasound report says:  "There is a complex cystic structure on one ovary.  There is some anteriorly positioned nonvascularized tissue affixed to the internal surface of this structure.  Low level echogenic liquid material is identified within."  There is also a "simple presumed follicular cyst" on both ovaries, in addition to the one large complex cyst on one ovary.  What is my ultrasound score?  

Thanks!
Angel