Gynecology / Women's Health Expert Forum
routine pelvic exam

This forum is for questions and support regarding gynecology issues such as: Cervical Disorders, Colposcopy, Cramps, Cystitis, Fallopian Tube Disorders, Menstruation, Ovarian Disorders, PAP Test, Pelvic Exam, PID, PMS, Surgery, Tests, Ultrasound, Uterine Disorders, Vaginal Disorders.

routine pelvic exam
I have been going to the same gynecologist for the last six years. During my last exam, after the vaginal exam, my doctor probed my anus with his finger for a few seconds. I was uncomfortable and a bit shocked. I do not remember this ever happening, is this part of the exam?
Hi!
Yes, it is part of the exam.  I usually do a rectal exam on any patient who is older than 39.  I usually warn them that it is coming though!  I also give them the option to refuse.  The reason to do the exam is to check the back side of the uterus and also to check for blood in the stool/bowel.  I was uncomfortable and shocked the first time too!
Good luck!
Dr B