HIV - International Expert Forum
Brief unprotected anal sex

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Brief unprotected anal sex

I recently had brief unprotected anal sex with a female. It happened a little over a week ago. I've also tested using the clearview rapid test about seven days after the incident, it was negative. (Though I know it can take up to three months for hiv to show itself on a test.)

She preformed brief oral sex on me ( a few minutes) then I made the mistake of having brief unprotected anal sex with her (about 20 seconds or a little more). I of course immediately freaked out and pulled out. I immediately masturbated to try and "push" anything that could have gone down my urethra with semen, then I peed as well. It was quite the scene. Since the incident I've had mild flu like symptoms, and I could swear I feel like my penis throbs sometimes since the incident.

My questions are:

What are the chances of contracting hiv from the brief anal sex?
Does masturbating/and peeing help prevent any possible infection from entering the body?
When can I test for accurate results for gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia?  
Have you ever heard of this clearview rapid test? Is it accurate? They said 99.7 percent. Why 99.7? What's the difference between this test and a more conventional lab administered elisa test?
Thank you very much for your post.  I will try to answer each of your questions here below:

- What are the chances of contracting hiv from the brief anal sex?
IF SHE WAS POSITIVE, THE RISK TO YOU IS RELATIVELY LOW, LESS THAN 0.1%; NOT KNOWING HER STAUTS, THE RISK WOULD BE MUCH LOWER THAN THAT AS IT IS MORE LIKELY THAT SHE IS NEGATIVE.
- Does masturbating/and peeing help prevent any possible infection from entering the body? NOT AT ALL.
- When can I test for accurate results for gonorrhea, syphilis, chlamydia?
TWO WEEKS AFTER THE ENCOUNTER FOR CHLAMYDIA AND GONORRHOEA, AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS AFTER, FOR SYPHILIS.  
- Have you ever heard of this clearview rapid test? Is it accurate? They said 99.7 percent. Why 99.7? What's the difference between this test and a more conventional lab administered elisa test? .
YES, I HAVE HEARD OF IT.  IT IS CONSIDERED CONCLUSIVE ONLY AFTER 12 WEEKS AS IT IS A 3RD GENERATION ANTIBODY TEST.  YOU COULD HAVE A DUO OR COMBO TEST OF FOURTH GENERATION, CONLCUSIVE AFTER 4 WEEKS.

Best wishes,
Dr José
Thank you so much for your responses. I have some final questions based on your answers.

IF she was positive... how is the chance of contracting hiv so low? 0.1 % low? Does that mean I don't have to stress this episode so much?

For a male, how does the disease infect him? Does it need to enter the penis and travel down the urethra to become infected or just entering the tip of the penis enough??
Those are the statistics.  Contracting HIV for a male who penetrates is relatively difficult, but possible.  Transmission occurs through urethra, glans (glands) and mucous membrane underneath foreskin, if uncircumcised.  It happens only inside of the body, during penetration, when the head of the penis comes into contact with infected vaginal fluid, anal secretations or blood.  The risk for circumcised males is even lower.
Best wishes,
Dr José