HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV -ve 7 weeks 4th Gen but Myalgia symptoms 8 weeks on ?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

I recently had a at risk sexual encounter with a Nigerian girl approx 11 weeks ago. I performed unprotected oral sex on her for approx 30 sec. I had a small healed cold sore at the time but the scab was missing in the morning. The girl did not have any menstral bleeding or sores as far as I was aware. Obviously I got tested with 4th Gen Elisa Duo at 7 weeks post exposure along with a full STD screen. Results were negative for STD and HIV.

I have had no symptoms of rash,fever,sore throat etc between week 1 and 7  but at week 8 I have developed Myalgia on my arms , wrists which but not my lower body . I am a very anxious person and have been worrying myself sick for approx 2 months and even with a -ve test at 7 weeks. I cannot sleep for more than 4/5 hours recently and feel run down. Sometimes If I am busy the muscle pain subsides but I feel if its getting out of control. I have been very tearful also which makes it worse.

So does Myalgia alone a symptom of acute HIV Infection ? Can stress bring this on ? How accurate is the 7 week test ? Does HIV 2 antibody production produce at the same rate as HIV 1 ?I plan to do my 12 week test in a few weeks.  Any re assurance would be greatly appreciated as I am kinda losing it .......
Apologies for the delay in replying to your post.
Your sexual encounter can be considered low risk, even if she was HIV positive.  To confirm that, you had a negative HIV Duo of 4th generation after 7 weeks, which is fully conclusive.  HIV-2 is extremely rare, as it is less aggressive than HIV-1, and I doubt very much that you could have been infected under these circumstances.  In fact HIV-2 antibodies would have been detectable at 7 weeks anyway.  In summary I can assure you that you have not been infected with HIV and that you do not really need to have any further tests.
Myalgia in isolation is not a symptom of acute HIV sero-conversion, and stress can certainly be a contributory factor.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Sorry but one last question ? Would you consider a low risk exposure ( oral sex ) and a -ve 4th gen 28 days test as a conclusive result ? Again I know you are busyso apologies in advance .
Many thanks for your reply and the information provided. I feel I have peace of mind now.