HIV - International Expert Forum
HIV -ve 7 weeks 4th Gen but Myalgia symptoms 8 weeks on ?
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIV -ve 7 weeks 4th Gen but Myalgia symptoms 8 weeks on ?

I recently had a at risk sexual encounter with a Nigerian girl approx 11 weeks ago. I performed unprotected oral sex on her for approx 30 sec. I had a small healed cold sore at the time but the scab was missing in the morning. The girl did not have any menstral bleeding or sores as far as I was aware. Obviously I got tested with 4th Gen Elisa Duo at 7 weeks post exposure along with a full STD screen. Results were negative for STD and HIV.

I have had no symptoms of rash,fever,sore throat etc between week 1 and 7  but at week 8 I have developed Myalgia on my arms , wrists which but not my lower body . I am a very anxious person and have been worrying myself sick for approx 2 months and even with a -ve test at 7 weeks. I cannot sleep for more than 4/5 hours recently and feel run down. Sometimes If I am busy the muscle pain subsides but I feel if its getting out of control. I have been very tearful also which makes it worse.

So does Myalgia alone a symptom of acute HIV Infection ? Can stress bring this on ? How accurate is the 7 week test ? Does HIV 2 antibody production produce at the same rate as HIV 1 ?I plan to do my 12 week test in a few weeks.  Any re assurance would be greatly appreciated as I am kinda losing it .......
1024580_tn?1331577721
Hello,
Apologies for the delay in replying to your post.
Your sexual encounter can be considered low risk, even if she was HIV positive.  To confirm that, you had a negative HIV Duo of 4th generation after 7 weeks, which is fully conclusive.  HIV-2 is extremely rare, as it is less aggressive than HIV-1, and I doubt very much that you could have been infected under these circumstances.  In fact HIV-2 antibodies would have been detectable at 7 weeks anyway.  In summary I can assure you that you have not been infected with HIV and that you do not really need to have any further tests.
Myalgia in isolation is not a symptom of acute HIV sero-conversion, and stress can certainly be a contributory factor.
Best wishes,
Dr José
3 Comments
Blank
Sorry but one last question ? Would you consider a low risk exposure ( oral sex ) and a -ve 4th gen 28 days test as a conclusive result ? Again I know you are busyso apologies in advance .
Blank
Many thanks for your reply and the information provided. I feel I have peace of mind now.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
The 3 Essentials to Ending Emotiona...
Sep 18 by Roger Gould, M.D.Blank