HIV - International Expert Forum
Oral sex with a homosexual male.

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Oral sex with a homosexual male.

Five days ago I had oral sex with a homosexual male, he did not ejaculate in my mouth, he had questionable previous sexual encounters, I also had a small cut on my gums, yesterday afternoon I started to get a sore throat and was very tired and have a headache as well as having in upset stomach and mild diarrhea.  I am very scared assuming he was HIV+ realistically what is the likelihood of me being infected with HIV? also what are the risks of contracting other STD's from this encounter?

Much Thanks
Thank you very much for your post.   The estimated risk of a man having unprotected receptive oral sex with another man is very low.  If the status of the other man is unknown, in London, the estimated risk would be between 0% and 0.006% (zero to 1 in 17,000).  If the man is definitely HIV positive, this would be between 0% to 0.04% (zero to 1 in 2,500).  In clinical practice, we have not been able to establish a real risk of HIV with this sexual practice and this is risk is really only theoretical as there is evidence that saliva neutralises the virus.  Therefore in your case, I would not worry about HIV.  However there is a significant rsik of developing throat Chlamydia and/or Gonorrhoea, which would be consistent with your symptoms of a sore throat.  My advice to you is to get a specific throat swab and possibly treatment.  There is also a possible risk of syphilis and herpes.
Kind regards,
Dr Jose
So I went to the doctor today requested the test you recommend but he just gave me a urine test will this achieve the same results? As well is it possible to start seeing HIV symptoms 4 days after possible exposure?
Much Thanks
Please I need an answer soon.  And if anyone else can please give me some insight I know I'm very the low risk but I still have extreme anxiety about HIV.

Much Thanks,
The urine test will not show you anything from giving oral sex. As Dr.Gonzalez-Garcia said you would need a throat swab.

Not sure if there is anything an HIV that can be added other then what the Dr has told you. He gives a very low risk to no risk estimation and said that in practice that a link can not be established between oral sex and HIV. I believe it is no risk and that is the advice I give on the free HIV community forum based on the Dr's estimations from this website and a couple of studies done (Spain study and SF study). And without ejaculation if it is at all possible to get HIV it would be very very very very low risk. But again I believe it is zero risk nyself.