HIV - International Expert Forum
What is my hiv risk from kissing while having GERD?

This forum is for questions and discussions relating to HIV exposure and risks, living with HIV, HIV prevention, HIV testing, HIV transmission, HIV treatment. All questions will be answered by a medical expert from FreedomHealth.

Doctor I am extremely worried and please forgive the graphic nature of this message. I am a hispanic male and recently met up with an African American transsexual/cross-dresser. This person performed protected oral sex on me with a condom but also performed oral sex on my testicles (sucking) which did not have a condom over them (just the penis itself had a condom). Anyway, I also engaged in kissing for less than 1 minute combined with tongue. I don't know if this person had any cuts in his mouth but I am worried about my hiv risk given the fact that I have chronic gerd.I take meds but I get erosion and acidity anyway. In retrospect I probably shouldn't have kissed, but I did and now I am worrying since my esophagus is eroded due to the acid which makes me wonder if that exposed me to hiv. I got scared because I see that the CDC has 1 reported case of hiv through kissing which freaked me out.

I did ask this person is he had any stds and he said no, but people lie or don't know right?

So doctor, please what are my risks? Should I get tested? Or is it really not necessary?
Tags: hiv kissing, protected oral sex hiv
Thank you very much for your post and welcome to our forum.
None of the sexual practices carried out as described would have posed any risk of HIV infection to you.  You cannot contract HIV through receiving oral sex, and certainly not oral sex performed on normal skin, like the scrotum or testicles.  Also I can assure you that kissing is safe and does not pose any risk of HIV infection either.
In summary, these events do not involve any HIV risk and therefore there is no need for you to get tested.
Best wishes,
Dr José
Also, this person performed oral sex in the area between my testicles and anus but not on my anus. (I thought I'd include everything) I just realized I posted on the wrong forum. It should have been the hiv experts forum not the hiv - international experts forum? Anyway, hope it doesn't take long to get answered.
What I meant was, please answer the question on this forum anyway. I would have changed it to the other forum but I already paid to post it on this one. Thanks!
Even with GERD (acid reflux) there is no risk? I would imagine not since many people suffer from reflux and if it was a risk for transmission it would have been reported/confirmed by now. Anyway, that's what another doctor on the forum told me, but I guess it's always reassuring to have another doctor in agreement. Plus, I can't be the first case in the world. Anyway, sorry for re-visiting this post. My mind just started thinking about it again.
Yes, even with GORD.  In fact the gastric acid would give you some extra protection as it would neutalise the virus as well.
Best,
Dr José
Hello Doctor. My anxiety was too overwhelming because I kept thinking about my acid reflux problem and the fact that my esophagus might be irritated and might have cuts due to the acid.
So I decided to get tested 11 days after my exposure even though according to you and another doctor I had no risk and did not need testing. I did it mostly for peace of mind. Anyway, I got an HIV PCR RNA test at 11 days and as expected, the test was negative. In your experience are PCR RNA tests conclusive in a case like mine?