HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Anal penetration!!

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Anal penetration!!

Hello Dr.
I have a question, I recently say my ex boyfriend who I had protected anal sex with ( i was the bottom). The condom did cover his head of the penis and about 2/3 of his penis. Is this safe? However before the  protected anal he pretended to penetrate me without a condom but I stopped him. He put a lot of pressure on my anus and it hurt a little bit, however I don't think he could of penetrated me that easily. Could him putting a lot of pressure on my anus that he might of penetrated me accidentally without me knowing? Have I risked my self? What if there was a small penetration. I am really scared. He claims to be HIV-, but i still used a condom, lube, and yet I'm begging to worry. Please help.
The first part of your question is easy to answer, yes, you were protected by the condom.  At the same time, I find myself wondering why it  only covered a portion of the penis.  If it was not fully in place because it was not put on fully, you are asking for trouble in the future if you continue to do this (it will be more likely to come off).  On the other hand, if it was on completely but did not cover the entire penis, no problem.

There is no perfect answer to your second question which can be restated as “When does pressure, which is required for penetration, lead to penetration?”  I doubt that you are perfectly able to answer that question and I am sure I cannot.  Remember, the friction component which makes sex a good thing is also part of the reason there is risk (the friction creates tiny, invisible tears).  If you felt the pressure and even a little discomfort there was some small amount of trauma as well.  Thus was there some risk? yes.  How much? Unknown but probably not much.  

To be honest, I am sure that you have little to worry about.  he said he was negative so he probably was (most people tell the truth), you used a condom, etc.  Having said all of this, given your description can I promise you there was NO risk whatsoever - no, I can't do that either.  Should you get tested yes.  I am confident that your risk is low and that your result will be negative but the test (at around 6 weeks) will make you absolutely sure.  Take Care.  EWH
Its been less than 72 hrs after the exposure, should I get PEP?
No.  I would not recommend or even consider PEP for an exposure of this sort.  It would be a waste of money and the frequency of drug side effects with PEP is high. EWH
y the way Dr. J called the guy who i hadf this exposure with and he assured me me is HIV- and he even e-mailed his lab results of all STD's including HIV and he was negative, he was tested on October. He hasn't been with anyone other than with his boyfriend who he tested with and been together for 6 months and me...