HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Cut on Hand

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Cut on Hand

Hi Doc,

I recently gave another man a hand job. I did not know him and his status. My question is; He ejaculated on the outside of my hand. After, I noticed I had 2 small dry cuts, which look like paper cuts/scrape from approximately 2 to 5  days before (or even could be the day before but not likely). The 2 cut/scrape are very small.

Is their any way I could have gotten infected with HIV if his sperm touched my cut which was a few days old. He ejaculated a lot and Im scared that some sperm could have touched my cut. I can scratch the cut with my nail and their is no bleeding. Im thinking this is a dry cut and the semen would not be able to get in.
Is their a chance I could have contracted HIV?

Please advise as I never did something like this before and now I am worried.

Thanks in advance!
Welcome to the HIV forum.

Cuts and nicks on the hands are extremely common.  Therefore, If you think about it, you will understand that over the 25 years of the known HIV/AIDS epidemic, there must have been millions of exposures just like yours -- and yet there has never been a known case (or even a suspected case) of someone catching HIV by hand job.  You aren't likely to be the first -- even if your partner's semen came in contact with the cut.  If the cut were deep and brand new (i.e. less than a few minutes old and actively bleeding) and if the semen were massaged into the wound, there might be some risk.  But there is no risk in the situation you describe and you do not need testing.

I hope this helps.  Take care and stay safe (as this exposure was).

Good luck--  HHH, MD
So since my cuts are dried and not "new" cuts, I am not at risk? My cuts would have had to be new and bleeding visibly? Since they were dry I have nothing to worry about?
I'm not going to repeat what I already said.  Did you think I might have changed my mind?  
No no. Thankyou.
Doctor, sorry to bother you but can you answer one more question for me. As you can tell I am bothered by what I did.

Regarding the nik and cut that I have on my hand- If the semen did get onto the cuts, and they were a day old would their be a chance of me contracting the virus then? Or is it still irrelevant? Like I said their was no visible blood, just what looks like a scab starting to form on the small ripped skin. The scab was not fully developed so I am still nervous that the semen could have gotten into my blood stream. Can you tell me the difference between a cut that does not hold a risk and a cut that does hold a risk of gettin HIV?

Thank you for your time. This is my last post. Please respond.
Please understand: There was NO POSSIBLE HIV RISK FROM THIS EVENT.  It does not matter how you twist and turn to look or reasons that you really were at risk.  You were not.

You came here for reassurance.  I gave it.  Accept it and move on.

No more comments are permitted on this thread.
I have a huge problem,im 17 years old..there were to people fyting in ma location,then i went there to watch,then one of them is hiv positive,he then gave me his jearsey that had blood on it,bt i diddnt notice,then i thought that this man is hiv positive and i threw that jearsey away,when i looked at ma fingers,i had small blood  and i have a cut on ma finger and some scratches..but my friend said that the blood was not close to the scratches..i dont know,im stressed..do u think is there a chance i could be hiv positive?