HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Exposure potential after oral with small sore on inner lip

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Hi Doctor!

In late January, I performed oral sex on a woman I've seen off and on over the past few years(not sure of her status).  That was followed by protected vaginal for a few moments and nothing more.No broken condom to my knowledge.

Around the end of February I began to have serious lower back pains. It was to the point that my upper torso was leaning to the right.  I couldn't stand totally straight. It was worse when I would sit at work for example and then get up.  I would also feel a burning stinging pain in right buttock and in the hips but more like in the muscle. Doctor said this was from my gait being off due to the pain. This was all strange since it persisted for about 3-4 weeks. Note: I did slightly hurt twist it in November but it's been okay up until the above incident.

In addition, about early March a small reddish bump developed on my right middle finger on the lower knuckle.  It was sore and has taken a long time to fully heal.  I would forget it's there until I shook another person's hand when their grip would cause it to hurt. It's almost gone.  My doctor thinks it was slightly infected but since it never opened is not going to do anything with it. Also, my breathing was a little strange as though there was a slight chemical ammonia-like almost each time I inhaled.

My concerns are about the above coupled with strange stinging, burning pains I've gotten off and on over the last few weeks on the sides of my legs, and on my back near my shoulder blade and some similar type of pains around my fingers. I'm also experiencing some calf cramping in both my calves more so after walking or going up the stairs.  Lastly, doctor said my cholesterol is 224 and that I need to get it down.  I'm 46.  

What is my risk and are these symptoms I should be concerned with in regard to hiv.
Welcome back to our Forum.  The encounter that you describe in January was not associated with any appreciable risk for HIV or, for that matter, any other STD.  You do not know that your partner had any sort of infection and statistically it is unlikely that she did.  More importantly and to your credit, there is no appreciable risk for infection related to any of the activities you describe. Condom protected sex is safe sex and unprotected cunnilingus is the safest form of unprotected sex a person can engage in.  Neither of us on the forum have ever seen a person acquire an STD or any sort from cunnilingus in or combined more than 70 years of STD-focused practice and there has never been a case of proven HIV transmission related to cunnilingus.

My suspicion is that the symptoms you describe are not related to the exposure you mention.  It would not surprise me to learn that your back, buttock and hip pain are related- problems in one can certainly impact the other areas.  The other symptoms you mention, either individually or as a group do not bring to mind any STD, including HIV.

Sorry I don't have a unifying answer for you.  My guess is that your symptoms are not related to each other and I am quite confident that they are not related to any STD, including HIV acquired in the encounter that you mention.

I hope this assessment is helpful to you. EWH
Sorry Doctor, I forgot to state specifically that later on after the oral sex is when I realized that I had 2 small sores on the inside of my bottom lip. The skin was slightly broken.
One more thing, over almost the past 10 days or so, my left thumb would twitch off and on involuntarily. I've also had a few incidents of tingling or nerve movement just between my eyes and near back of my neck.
Thank you for your feedback and insight. I just have a follow-up question. I was wondering about the conditions if  was including the thumb and some slight muscle twitching in lower legs and arms(that I forgot to mention) are possibly related to peripheral neuropathy that I read about(yes on the internet-sorry) can be associated with hiv? That's also why I mentioned my elevated cholesterol level as a potential cause of these conditions also(maybe peripheral artery disease especially because of the leg cramps).  Let me know what you think.  Thanks!
No, neither thumb sensations or twitching of your lowerr legs is associated with HIV.  EWH
Good morning Dr. Hook!

I am sorry to trouble you again over this matter.

I honestly have been losing a lot of sleep over it and focus on it often throughout the day. I've tried to forget about it but it hasn't been easy especially since I am still getting some of(but less of) the stinging/burning sensations(mostly in legs around knee and upper thigh and some in the heel) , each of which raises my anxiety level.  

Also, I have been having a dry mouth and some reddish mouth sores that have come and gone on the inner cheeks(maybe anxiety driven also) This may be from my anxiety for when i do focus away from my situation, it seems to lessen. I know you say that these are not specific for hiv but I would like to rule it out and pursue other potential health issues.

To put this to rest for me, I have decided to get tested(blood) just for peace of mind and to move on. My question to you is that I am about 81 days past exposure and really don't want to wait any longer. At this point 9 more days to the 3 months seems like a a lifetime.  Am I correct that the results would be conclusive at this point?

I know you are a busy person, but I thank you for your help and patience in dealing with my concerns.  

P.s. This may not change your previous initial comments, but I have hsv2 and understand that it can make you at more of a risk for hiv. that's the extra basis for my concerns. Thanks again.
This will need to be the last response as part of this thread.

Testing for HIV antibody at any time more than 8 weeks (56 days) will provide defintive information as to whther you were infected or not.  You can test at this time and your results, which I am confident will be negiatve, will be reliable.  EWH