HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Eye saliva

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Eye saliva
Dear dr I was talking to a customer that was disappointed and shouting at me and  his spit came into my eyes. Didn't see what color it was .
Welcome to our Forum.  This was a no risk event.  For starters, unless you forgot to mention it, you do not know that this person had HIV or any other transmissible infections.  If so, it is unlikely that he was infectious to you.  Even if he was, the remarkable blink reflex provides highly effective protection from infection.  Further, tears and eye secretions contain anti microbial substances which inactivate viruses and bacteria.  Putting these facts together, the event you describe was no risk.  Neither of us has ever seen someone acquire HIV through the mechanism you describe.

I hope this comment is helpful.  EWH
Dr thank you for your feedback. Yes I do not know his status as he was a walk in client. He was shouting and a small drop of saliva went directly from his mouth to my eyes and I am sure not my mouth because it was closed. Is it still a zero risk? I am only concerned about hiv.,  
No change in my assessment or recommendations.  EWH