HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Follow up concern for Dr. Hook

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Follow up concern for Dr. Hook

Dr. Hook,

I apologize. I know this post means that I will not be allowed another post for 6 months. However, I must ask, and understand that I may have wasted money for the same answer, however, I have never had someone bleed on me that wasn't my child or a family member I trust:

I looked at my back in the area I described as a pimple. I cannot tell if it is a pimple/acne/ulcer or an ingrown hair, or a sore. The red area is around the size of a dime, with a crater so to speak about the diameter of a hole from a paper punch. It was bleeding that morning when I scrubbed it in the shower. Additionally, I noticed several other smaller (hole punch size red areas) that had opened up in the center as well, as in a break in my skin, or a sore, that may have and probably did bleed, perhaps yesterday. I can't tell how deep any of them are.

With that information, does your assessment remain the same? I mean, you mentioned deep injection or a cut, as would offer an entry route for HIV. (Although responses in the Community forum tend to describe the type of wound as a hospital trip). My concern is that these were "cuts" as you mentioned, I provided you with the wrong advice. Or is safe to assume that because they weren't stitches worthy, your previous advice still applies?

After this, I will shut down the anxiety. It was just tough, where I was afraid I used the wrong term in "pimple," and I worry for my relationship with my family, my wife.
When I answered your question I assumed that the pimple on your back was either an acne lesion or folliculitis.  Both such lesions can evolve and often in the same patient there will be red bumps, pimples (which look pus filled), and open craters after the pimples have broken.  They are all part of the same process and none represent risk factors for acquiring any blood borne infection.   In addition  these sorts of lesions do tend to bleed when scraped such as in the shower with a washcloth or loofah sponge.  

In all sincerity, you are over processing this.  There is little chance that your co-worker had HIV and even if he did, there is really and truly nothing at all for you to worry about from the exposure you describe in your original post.  Please don't worry.  You are spending emotional energy on a no risk situation.

Really.  EWH
Thanks doctor. I didn't see any puss prior to the breaking open, But I assume you took all possibilities into your advice? Crater may have not been the right word, all i know is there is an open sore or something. I can't tell if there is depth , just that there is an open area that bled earlier. I assume no plausable sore/lesion or what ever it is that formed on me and broke open will change your opinion, no matter what? And I should not be concerned for my self, wife, child, or my family as you indicated in your past post, even from my own fluids having contact with my family, ie my blood.

Just for my education sake, as I doubt this will be the last time I have blood on me, what type of cut should would I need I worry about? I have read the forums and they all point to large wounds and amounts of blood that merit hospital attention.

Thank you again, for your reponses. The peace of mind has been worth it. And i greatly and sincerely appreciate the patience you've had with me.

Albert Einstein said the one definition of insanity it to do the same thing again and again and expect different results.  Let's dispense with the word games- crater/cut/pimple/sore/ scrape/skin defect/lesion - same advice NO RISK !!!!!!!    No risk to you, your wife, your children, your pets, or your house plants.  I really do not know how to say it any other way and will not say it again.  

I will not get into detail descriptions about what sort of cuts for fear you will then start an anxiety-driven series of questions about depth, width, blood volume, timing, etc.  

This thread is now over.  EWH
I sincerely apologize Dr.

I merely want to say thank you. I am moving on from this. It's time to let the worries go, trust in your assessment, and move on from this.  Take care, and again, I hope you will accept my apology.