HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
General Question

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

General Question

Dear Dr's,

17 days ago I made a horrible mistake and had a 1 night tryst with a random bar hookup.  I had unprotected vaginal and oral sex with her.  3 days later I woke up and had an unexplained severly swollen knee. (little to nopain front of knee cap) Dr identified it as possible prepatellar bursitis. Could this be a swollen lymph node instead after 3 days since exposure???  Since than I have had minor sore throat, and splottchy rashes on stomach and chest that last for 30-45 min and go away.  I have also had what maybe oral thrush the last few days. I did start taking some doxycycline mono for 10 days that i had laying around from and old acne perscripton that was not expired. Could this be tha cause of the rashes & thrush. I plan on getting tested for STD's tomorrow.  Do you recommend also having an HIV  andtibody test at this time or wait until 6 weeks.

Thanks so much!
Welcome to the forum.  The bottom line is that you should be having no worries about HIV of other STDs.  Here is why:

First, in the US and other industrialized countries, the chance any particular woman has HIV -- including those willing to be picked up in bars -- is very low, probably under 1 chance in 1,000.  Second, even if she had HIV, the chance of transmission for any single episode of unprotected vainal sex is around 1 in 2,000.  (So on those two issues alone, the chance you caught HIV would be around 1 in 2 million, i.e. virtually zero.)  Third, HIV symptoms cannot start in less than 7 days and it's usually 10-20 days.  Fourth, your symptoms don't sound like acute HIV infection or those of any other STD.  Fifth, no doctor is going to confuse a prepatellar bursitis with an enlarged lymph node. The two conditions aren't similar in any way.

Thrush is not a diagnosis a lay person can make without professional advice.  Most white coated tongues, for example, are not thrush.  I can't judge whether or not the changes in your mouth might be related to doxycycline, but it sounds like a possibility.  Also, I can't judge the splotchy rash either.  But neither of these problems is likely to be due to a new HIV infection or STD.

From a medical or risk assessment perspective, you don't need HIV testing at all.  But assuming you remain nervous despite my reassurance, have an HIV test.  If you don't mind the wait, a single test at 6-8 weeks is fine.  If you can't wait, have an initial test at 4 weeks (highly reassuring) and a follow-up test at 8 weeks or so.

In the meantime, I see no serious concerns here about either HIV or other STDs.  Follow through with your plan for STD testing, but don't lose a lot of sleep over it.  It is unlikely you caught any infection of any kind from your bar pick-up.

Regards--  HHH, MD

If you remain concerned about your symptoms, return to your doctor for professional re-evaluation.