HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Risk from bleeding mouth

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Risk from bleeding mouth

I recently went to a club with a group of friends a month back. That night I ended up meeting a bar girl I guess you can say and I made out with her (deep kissing) for about an hour. My fear is that I could have contracted HIV.

Symptom timeline: Post exposure incident
- day 4: had diarrhea
- day 5: had diarrhea
- Day 10: started to develop a sore throat (lasted roughly 2 weeks)
- Day 10 - 15: was having heat flashes or burning facial sensations. Almost felt like a fever was starting, but, it would go away after 5, 10 ,15min.
- Day 14: noticed a small raised red rash on lower neck and part of chest. This rash did not itch. It was spread out somewhat across chest. (lasted roughly 2 weeks)
- Day 16: Began getting intense leg pains down the sides of my thigh muscles (lasted roughly 1 week)

During the duration of this time I was having headaches and aches in my neck, armpit and groin. In addition, I also had a slight stuffed nose that felt more allergy related than full on flu related.
The reason I worry mainly is because of the symptoms which appeared. In addition, they came at the same time or window period that ARS starts. I also worry since I do have gingivitis and some areas of my gums bleed regularly when I brush them. These areas continue to be sore throughout the day. I also have a tooth that bothers the gum line due to a cavity (which I am taking care of).

Does this constitute as open soars?

Also, I have been in a long term relationship for the past 8 years. We recently took a small break a few months back (hence the reason my friends took me out). However, since then we have gotten back together. I am afraid to get intimate with her again since I experienced these ARS like symptoms.

Should I even be worried?

Is it safe to assume I can get intimate with my long term partner again?
Welcome to our Forum.  I'll be pleased to comment, confirming what has already been said on the HIV Prevention Community site- there is no known risk for acquiring HIV from kissing, including deep kissing, even if your partner has sores or gum disease and even if you have sores or gum disease.  There are no cases in which HIV has EVER been proven to occur as exposures of this sort. As a result, there is no reason for concern or for testing.

It is far more likely that you acquired one of the far more common, community acquired viral illnesses that most people get through their activities of daily living from time to time.  Such an infection could have been acquired from your bar-girl partner or through your activities of normal living.  Further, the symptoms you described began to soon to be a sign of recently acquired HIV- the symptoms or recent HIV typically begin between 2 and 6 weeks after exposure to an infected partner, not just a few days later.

I hope these comments are helpful. As I said, none of the activities you describe suggest any risk for HIV or nay need for testing. There is no need for you to worry that you might have caught an STI (including HIV) that you could pass on to a regular partner through these activities.   EWH
Besides the diarrhea from being nervous about the situation. The other symptoms did appear around the two week mark.

1. why does CDC report HIV deep kissing incident. Also, the CDC highly recommends against kissing a person infected with HIV. If its zero risk, why would this matter?

2. How valid is the one report of the female getting hiv from deep kissing her infected partner. I understand these two were in a relationship. But, how many people may have gotten it in similar situations like mine. Maybe people get it through deep kissing. However, they may just write it off as something more risky.
As you were already told on the Communtiy Prevention site, there are no proven instances in which HIV was transmitted by kissing. The CDC is overly conservative and speaking in theoretical, not real terms.  

I am not aware of the report you descivbe.

No change in my assessment or advice.  EWH
Last Question,

From a medical science standpoint. What factors would prove that hiv cannot be transmitted via deep or open mouth kissing. What data causes you to discredit the chances of this happening. For example, blood to blood contact or contact with infected blood would make perfect sense for possible transmission. Therefore, why does kissing even with open sores and poor dental hygiene get discredited as a mode of transmission. Wouldn't infected blood be able to transmit across weakened mucous membranes in an individuals mouth with poor dental conditions.
You are being argumentative.  This topic has been studied in thousands of persons and found to not be assocated with HIV.  Those are the scientific observations on the subject.  

You asked my assessment and advice.  I gave it, based on caring for thousands of pateints and studying this and other STIs for over 30 years.  If you wish to believe otherwise, that is up to you but this is not a debate.

I wish you well.  EWH
I wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just asking based in science why kissing was not considered a risk if blood or open sores were present. I was just asking you medical opinion as a professional. Statistically speaking why blood contact with open sores in the mouth don't transmit.
Should I worry about having sexual contact with my long term partner? Am I safe assured?
Answered above. EWH