HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Risk
About This Forum:

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

HIV Risk

Aprox. 4 weeks ago I had an encounter with a CSW through a reputable agency on the West Coast. I asked if she was tested, she said every 2 mos. and was clean. At the time of the encounter I had a mild sore throat. We deep kissed, I performed cunnilingus on her (with a sore throat, I am stupid!) but only stimulated her clitoris with my tongue, I did not penetrate her vagina orally. We performed protected vaginal intercourse, I tested the condom afterward and it was intact.

Now I just returned to the East Coast from a vacation in Mexico where I had sex with my wife. I noticed a few itchy spots on my legs upon my return (look like bug bites), which have resolved, but now over the last 3 -4 days i have a very sore throat on the left side, mild cough, slightly swollen neck lymph nodes (not tender) and a stuffy nose with green mucus in the morning, no fever (temp 35.6 C).

What is the chance I contracted HIV and gave it to my wife? What is the chance this is ARS? Do I need to be tested?
(I am only concerned re: HIV as I took Zithromax 1 g. and Cefixime 400 mg. prior to CSW encounter)

Thanks for your help.
239123_tn?1267651214
Welcome to the forum.

Most people, including sex workers, are truthful when asked directly about HIV status and testing.  But even if she had HIV, you had entirely safe sex.  Condoms work, and HIV is rarely if ever acquired by cunnilingus (oral-vaginal contact).  And HIV doesn't cause a rash like yours, and does not cause cough, stuffy nose, or nasal mucus.  You have a cold or allergy, that's all.

For those reasons, I am confident you did not catch HIV and could not have infected your wife.  But if you remain concerned, you can always have an HIV test for reassurance.  The CDC recommends that all persons have an HIV test at one time or another, regardless of risk; and testing is also recommended once a year in everyone who has non-monogamous sex.  So perhaps this would be a good time, when it's on your mind.  But not because of this particular CSW exposure or your symptoms.

Really, no need to worry at all.  I hope these comments have helped ease your fears.  Best wishes-- HHH, MD
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
This Forum's Experts
239123_tn?1267651214
H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D.Blank
University of Washington
Seattle, WA
300980_tn?1194933000
Edward W Hook, MDBlank
University of Alabama at Birmingham
MedHelp Health Answers
Blank