HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Scare. Testing?

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Scare. Testing?

Hello Dr., Im a bi-sexual male I recently(3 days ago) anal sex with a male(protected) and he stated that he was disease free. He couldve lied, however. Im concerned because I read that HIV can be transmitted through a condom, espcecially anal. Can you tell me if Iam high risk? Really worried.
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for your question.  Congratulations on a common sense approach to sex wtih male partners.  You used a condom for anal sex, and you asked about HIV status, learning that your partner believes he isn't infected.  If you continue to follow these approaches, you can expect to never catch HIV.

It would appear you found some misinformation, or you misinterpreted what you read.  HIV definitely cannot pass through an intact condom; neither can any other STD.  If the condom did not break wide open, you are not at risk from this exposure -- even if your partner had HIV.  And the evidence is that he did not have HIV anyway; most people don't lie when asked directly.

So no worries, no need for testing, and if you have a regular partner, you can safely continue unprotected sex without fear of transmitting anything from this recent sexual event.

I hope this has helped.  Best wishes--  HHH, MD
Thanks for information. I know I'm at the highest risk possible because I was not on the receiving end, I was the penetrator. I washed throughly afterward. Just in case any fluids may gotten on me.
Highest risk in anal sex is for the receptive (bottom) partner; quite a bit lower for the insertive (top) partner.  Getting fluids on the skin would have made no difference in your risk of HIV.  Washing doesn't hurt, but probably makes no difference in HIV risk.
Thanks for the information. However, I used a non latex (polyisoprene) during the intercourse. Would that make a difference? Again thanks. I read that they are as effective against STD transmission.
You read correctly.

That will end this thread.  Do your best to move on without worry.
Thanks again. I will.