HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
HIV Seroconversion Lymph Nodes

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

HIV Seroconversion Lymph Nodes

I would like to understand more on HIV Seroconversion Lymph Nodes. Do they come and go or do they remain swollen till seroconversion is over?

I can feel lymph nodes in the middle of my ear on my face and lymph nodes on my neck. These two stays on for 5 days.

However, i can feel a swollen lymph nodes(circle and 2 cm big) on my left thighs and behind my right leg. Also, i can see axillary red non-tender lymph nodes on my underarms. All these disappear in the morning after 3 hours since i last saw them and they never appear. However they seems to appear every morning when i wake up and disappear. This has been going on for 5 days.

Is this a symptoms of seroconversion?

6 weeks ago, i had unprotected oral sex with a man with semen in my mouth. Just two weeks ago, i had bad sorethroat and dry cough,slight headache and slight fever, less than 38degree celsius. Now, i have lymph nodes and dry mouth.

Please tell me whether am i infected with HIV?
The risk of getting HIV from the exposure you describe is virtually zero.  The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.  Thus you are not at risk.

Furthermore, your lymph node swelling is not the ARS.  The ARS typically occurs 1-3 weeks following exposure, not a 6 weeks.  Furthermore, the lymph nodes of HIV do not come and go.  

My advice is for you to seek evaluation for your symptoms from a trained health care provider.  The symptoms you describe are not due to early HIV transmitted through oral sex.  EWH
Hello EWH,

What i am referring to is HIV seroconversion. I have been past ARS, which is sorethroat and upper respiratory syndrome.

Does HIV Seroconversion lymph nodes come and go while undergoing the seroconversion?
Your question is a bit circular.  HIV seroconversion is recognized only through recognition of the ARS or through repeated laboratory testing, something that is rarely done.  The answer is the same.  Lymph node swelling with HIV seroconversion idoes not come and go in the manner you suggest.

I repeat, you have no meaningful risk for HIV.  You need to move on from these concerns.  EWH
Is he [poster] claiming that an upper respiratory infection and sore throat is similar to ARS?  Sounds like a cold to me.
Hello EWH,

I cannot move on as what i am referring to is persistent generalized lymph nodes. That come and go.
I have nothing more to say. You do not have HIV. If you do not believe me, get a test.  It will be negative.  I suggest you forget about HIV and work on sorting it out with your doctor.  EWH
Hello EWH,

Thank you for your info. However, i feel that my questions seems to you is abit circular. Let me put it more clearly and would like an honest answer from you.

After 2 weeks of possible oral exposure to HIV positive man, i experience acute respiratory symptoms namely sore throat first (3days) follow by dry cough(5days), i realised i now have mild lymphadenopathy that comes and goes. They appear in cluster in my armpit, at the back of my legs, my lower limbs and trunks. I think i read somewhere in this forum that a guy mentioned at ASHA mentioned that this is common with primary HIV infection.

My question again to you, is that true?

Again, what is my possible reaction to unexplained generalized mild lymphadenopathy that comes and go?

Thank you once again for your attention and diagnosis. Please be truthful.Thanks

No,  HIV infection does not cause lymphadenopathy that comes and goes.  And with this answer this thread will end.  EWH
Why do you feel a sore throat and dry couch are any symptoms of HIV infection? You had a cold. Go see a Doc. You probably don't even have lymphadenopathy.
Hello EWH,

My last question to you will be, i have swollen lymph nodes on my upper limbs that appear in a day and go away. Also, my back legs lymph nodes swollen and go away in a day. That is the meaning of swollen lymph nodes that comes and go after very high exposure to HIV positive person three weeks ago.

Do you still think i am hiv negative? what is my odds of being hiv negative with my past exposure and shortly after sorethroat and dry cough and follow by swollen lymph nodes? I am a normal healthy person and this is the first time i am experiencing this.

Thank you.
Hello Longone,

Yes i do have swollen lymph nodes and it is everywhere,but they normally last one day and subside. It is painless and white. They appear in different place but usually will go down in a day.
Really you need to move on. As the good Dr said this thread is closed. Good luck find something else in life to keep you busy you do not have HIV based on your post.
Does Dr EWH care to comment my last question? Thanks
You're not gettin' it. This thread is over.

Feel free to post in the HIV Anxiety Support forum.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/HIV-Anxiety-Support/show/595?camp=msc
A related discussion, please tell me the risk involved in my act. was started.