HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
I asked this before but I just need a doctor

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

I totally understand that no one has ever gotten HIV from public bathrooms, inanimate objects, or enviromental surfaces.

However,  I am a little different and catheterize when I go to the bathroom in public places and I am afraid that I may infect myself some how by accidentally touching blood/vaginal fluid. I am concerned that I may get blood on my hand when I wipe off the toilet seat or enter a stall etc. And then get it on the catheter and it gets inside me that way or it's on my hand and I touch my vagina and it's gets in me that way.  

1.Is this a concern?
2.if this does happen would you suggest testing?

I have asked a similar question in the other forum but my concerns have continued and needed an expert opinion.  

I know that I am obsessing about this and am working with a professional to over come it.  
Welcome to the Forum. I do agree that your situation is rather different from the ones we typically encounter.  Despite that, there is no meaningful risk for you to acquire HIV in the way that you describe.  HIV is a fragile virus that begins to die immediately on exposure to the environment- thus if you were to come into contact with body fluids of blood from an infected person in a public bathroom (an unlikely event), you would still not be at risk for infection in the process of catheterizing your bladder.  

Thus:
1.Is this a concern?
No, I would not worry.

no, I see no need for testing related to the situation you describe.

I hope my comments are helpful. EWH
Thank you doctor.  

This has helped a lot.

So sleeping with my boyfriend without protection is okay and I can 100% stop worrying.

Also one more thing. Why do you say HIV  begins to die immediately once outside the body and others say it takes sometime?  Don't get me wrong I believe you I am just wondering.
There is certainly no reason for you to worry about unprotected sexual contact with your boyfriend.

I cannot explain what others are thinking.  The fact is that the HIV virus only lives a few hours in the human body and when it is outside of the body, it begins to die virtually immediately.   This process weakend the virus so that it cannot cause infection.  EWH
Okay thank you so much!  You were a great help!
Glad to help.  EWH
Wait I have one more thing I promiseI know I maybe getting obsessive I just need to know.. With the virus beginning to die would me being a kidney transplant patient allow it still to be infectious or no matter what it would not be able to infect.
You are being obsseive.  No.  EWH
Okay thank you!
Can you just clarify your last statement and then I will go. You meant it would not be infectious even though i had a kidney transplant correct?