HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
I hope you can help me doctor. I am terrified.

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Doctor, how goes it? Bi male here, let me first say that I rarely go into random sex and I've tested annually, a month ago being my last test.
I am quite terrified because last night I had receptive anal sex with a guy, the condom started on but after a while the condom slipped off somehow and it was no longer on the penis so pretty much I had receptive unprotected anal sex without intra rectal ejaculation. Anyway the guy was kind enough to do a rapid test today and it was negative. Should I be extremely worried over this situation? Or is it unlikely that he in fact has HIV and has no detectable antibodies yet..I see this as being extremely unlikely. This was my first sexual encounter since my last test so I didn't see the need to test...yet anyway. He showed me the results and it indeed is negative. Dr. Hook stated something that brought my hopes up in this question: http://www.medhelp.org/posts/HIV---Prevention/Anal-broken-condom/show/1748648 he said that if both tested negative it was no risk.

Would you say that I need PEP? Or that I am in extreme danger? HIV has always cause anxiety for me. I hope you can help me get rid of it a little bit.
Tags: i am terrified
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry to hear of your condom mishap.  That said however, your exposure was as safe as an unprotected exposure could be.  It was good that your partner was willing to test and the fact that his rapid test was negative virtually assures you that he is not HIV infected.  While there is a theoretical chance that your partner may have acquired HIV in the past 6-8 weeks which would not have been detected by his test but that really is most unlikely.  I have never seen such a case in my practice.

If you were my patient I certainly would not recommend PEP for you.  I urge you not to worry.  Your risk of infection is close to zero.  

I hope my comments are helpful.  EWH
Dr. Hook...I truly appreciate your assessment. You have no idea how difficult the last 24 hours have been for me...I look like a zombie. One last question...Would you say that it is reasonable for me to move on and forget about this incident?

Again thank you sooo much!!! I feel truly better.
Yes, that is exactly the advice I would give.  I would move forward without concern for HIV from this encounter.  EWH
Again Dr. Hook thank you so much. I wish the best to you and yours.