HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Oral Sex - HIV Risk

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Oral Sex - HIV Risk

Hi Doctor,

I'm sure you get this question a lot but I still need to ask because I am concerned.
I am a heterosexual female and very recently performed oral sex on a man of unknown status.
He did ejaculate into my mouth, although I only swallowed a very small quantity of it.

I later found out (indirectly) that this guy is interested in both women and men (his exact sexual history I am unaware of unfortunately). Can you please tell me my actual risk of acquiring HIV from this act and how concerned I should be?

My mouth is in good overall health although I did perform the oral sex for a while and we had been kissing a lot prior to that. In a worst case scenario, assuming he was HIV+, can you tell me how concerned I should be?
I plan to have a DNA PCR test done two weeks after the incident but I am just wondering how worried I should be from now til then.

Thanks so much in advance.
Welcome to our Forum.  The exposure you describe is virtually no risk.  Some would argue that you do not need testing at all.  Kissing is no risk, even deep kissing and even with gum or dental disease. The quoted figure for HIV risk, if one has oral sex with an infected partner is less than 1 in 10,000 and, in my estimation that is too high. Some experts state there is no risk at all from oral sex.  Neither of us on this site have ever seen or reading the medical literature of a convincing instance in which HIV was passed by oral sex.

In your case, even though your partner may have same sex as well as heterosexual partners, it is unlikely that the has HIV.

I know you have had HIV PCRs in the past following exposures of concern.  I urge you to save your money on this one.  If you must, go on and get a blood test in a few weeks (the result at 8 weeks would be definitive for you.  

Hope this comment helps. Take care.  EWH
Thank you so much, doctor.
You would have thought I would have learned my lesson from my first scare a few months ago :(
I appreciate your alleviating my fears. Hopefully this will be the last time I ever have to worry about this!