HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Oral sex on a woman -- contact with clitoris

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Two to three months ago I performed oral sex on a woman: I only touched the tip of my tongue to her clitoris for 3 - 5  seconds.  I did not insert my tongue into her vagina, nor touch her vulva.  The woman claimed to be on her period, but there was no blood present.

What is my risk of exposure in this case?

Thank you
Oral sex is less likely to result in transmission of STDs than vaginal sex and your very brief, non-penetrative oral sex is lower still.  There is no risk for HIV and at this time you can be confident that you did not get hepres or syphilis.  Chalmydia is not spread by oral sex. That leaves gonorrhea.  All things considered, your risk of gonorrhea is less than 1% and probably far less.  If I were you, at this time there is no need for testing or concern.

I hope this comment is helpful to you.  EWH
Sorry, I forgot to add that I have been tested 10-12 weeks following this exposure, and the results were negative.
Then you can be completely confident that you did not get HIV.  Without a doubt. EWH
Dr. Hook,

Thank you for your timely reply and all the great work you are your colleagues do.

Kind regards