HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Penis rubbing on clitoris

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Penis rubbing on clitoris

Hi Doctors,

I have been terribly worried and distracted from my most recent sexual encounter. During my sexual encounter with a prostitute she pulled my penis towards her vagina unprotected, I was very worried and stopped her, she comforted me that she was not putting it inside, but before I could do anything more she went ahead and began to use the tip of my penis to rub on her clitoris. She didn't put it in, but I was terribly worried about that event and it has haunted me for the entire week.

My penis is not circumcised and approximately 5-10 minutes after protected sex I did go and urinate and wash off my penis. I'd like to know how easy is it to contract it simply by rubbing her clitoris on my penis and what are the areas that are most at risk that I should know about for the future. Can an infection occur simply by having a penis head touch the vagina or does it need to do more?

Sorry for all the questions, but it would help put my worries to rest and so I can get on with my life.
The exposure you describe falls within the category of mutual masturbation, followed by condom protected sex and thus is safe sex.  Obviously, you were close to penetration but close is not penetration.  I would not worry.  No one has ever gotten HIV from mutual masturbation and you will not be the first.  Other reasons to not be concerned include the fact that most commercial sex workers do not have HIV and, even if she was and even if (note, the “even ifs are mounting up here) your urethra was somehow contaminated by her genital secretions, your risk for getting HIV would be lower than the 1 in 1000 chance that occurs with unprotected sex.

You have nothing to worry about from a medical perspective.  I realize however that my reassurance may not completely resolve your concerns.  If you wish to get tested to give yourself peace of mind (that is the main reason for you to get tested), please wait until at least 4 weeks after your exposure to get tested.  At that time, the negative test result that I am confident you will get will provide you with complete confidence that you did not get HIV from the experience you describe.

Hope this helps.  EWH