HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
Very anxious, oral sex and ARS

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

Very anxious, oral sex and ARS

Hello doctors, first of all let me say, that you are making a great work here. Please excuse my english skills, I am not a native speaker. So, to my "problem" which is making me very nervous. Five days ago I get drunk and I had sex with one friend of mine (woman). I dont know her HIV status, I just met her on disco. I know, that she has a neighbour/friend which is homosexual and HIV+. I know that thru normal social contact is impossible to get HIV. . Because we did not have any condoms I did not allow the vaginal or anal intercourse. She gave me a blowjob and i licked her vagina. She was very wet and for sure some "liquids" get in to my mouth. After three days i have a little sore throat and felt "weak", now I have just dry cough with no other problems. But I feel very anxious and scared and I am relating everything to HIV. My questions are regarding oral sex (both sides) and possibility of getting infected (if she is HIV+) and also if there is a need to go for RNA PCR tests or just wait six weeks for DUO? Also one questio regarding ARS - is it possible that ARS symptoms show up in five days? I know, that this kind of questions you answer all the time, maybe I just need to hear the answer just for me. So I am sorry for bothering you. Once more, thanks for a great job here and wish you all the best. Greg
Welcome to the Forum.  I'll try to help. Please remember that HIV is very rare in women and that the fact that your partner may have friends who may have HIV (and I would not believe rumors) in no way means she has the infection.  Even if she does however, the risk from the activity you describe is close to zero and I am confident that your current sore throat is not the ARS.

There are no cases in which a man has been proven to get HIV from receipt of oral sex.  As for your cunnilingus (licking your partner's vagina), there may be a few (less than 5) cases in which this may have occurred but the estimated rate, IF your partner had HIV (unlikely) is less than 1 infection in 10,000 sexual encounters.  

As for your sore throat, the ARS would not begin just three days after exposure. more typically it occurs at two weeks.  When the ARS occurs, persons experience severe sore throat, muscle and joint aches and high fever.  What you describe happened far too soon to be the ARS.

If you want to test for HIV because of this very low risk exposure, at 4 weeks a DUO test will provide you with conclusive results.  You do not need to wait for six weeks.

I hope these comments are helpful for you.  EWH