HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
hiv testing conclusive and transmission

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

hiv testing conclusive and transmission

Doctor,
Had to pay since I had another question and had another encounter.
So I had unprotected sex for about 2 mins with an open wound near my rectum. I also have HPV.

-At 13 days, had an RNA EXAM= NEGATIVE
-At 5 weeks and 2 days had a rapid test clearview =NEGATIVE
-At 7 weeks and 3 days had a rapid test (just short of the 8 weeks that both of you suggest is conclusive)

1. Am I conclusively negative? Can I believe my results?

2. What does STATPAK mean (I think that's how you spell it)? I asked the clinic for the 8 week test and they told me that is what they use for rapid test? Ok?

3. I met up with another guy yesterday and we simply masturbated. However, his penis head touched mine and both were watery with precum. Is this a risk?

Thank you for your time and your advice.
I'll address these questions but need to ask you an important question.  Is it really worthwhile to repeatedly expose yourself through unprotected sex and then to have it worry you so much. Wouldn't condom protected sex be easier on you, not to mention safer?

As for your questions:

This is a repetitive question.  I have already told you the these results, taken as a whole are definitive and you do not need further testing related to your earlier exposure.  Asking the question again will not change the result/

I am not familiar with this name but there are many test brands.  If the test was FDA approved, and tests in clinics must be to be sold, then the results are reliable.  Once again, believe the results.

Mutual masturbation does not put participants at risk for HIV, even when the participants bet each other’s genital secretions on one another.  No risk and no need to test related to this event.

I hope these replies are helpful. EWH
Doctor,
I am right with you...i was somewhat drunk but trust me it will never happen again! My health comes first!

1. Even though i was short 4 days from the 8 week mark, it makes no difference right? I can finally say im hiv negative!

2. Can i call the clinic tomorrow and give you an update on the test name? Its a pretty commom gay clinic

3.thank you

Doctor i cant appreciate how much you have made me calm down. I have learned from this lesson!

Regards
1.  Correct.  Believe the test reuslt, even though you did not need testing to begin with.

2.  The test name is irrelevant.  Just find out if it has been FDA approved ( I am confident that it has been).  All tests are held to the same standards of performance.  No need to let me know.  

Your welcome.,

EWH
1. I did need testing since I had unprotected sex....

2. it was an ORAQUICK test...

Doc,
for future reference....mutual masturbation is a non risk activity right......
like if I had precum on my hand and rubbed my *** afterwards with no cuts present...poses no risk, correct?
Last answer.  There is no risk for HIV form mutual masturbation, even when partners get each other's gential (genital) secretions on one another.  EWH