HIV - Prevention Expert Forum
leg pain in early hiv infection

This forum is limited to prevention of HIV and to safe sex in general. All questions will be answered by H. Hunter Handsfield, M.D. or Edward W Hook, MD.

leg pain in early hiv infection

I have been experiencing leg pain in both legs for sometime now...about 2 weeks after unprotected sex.  The pain still exists as of now and has been for about 5 weeks now.  One day i noticed my legs starting to tingle below the knees...this was followed by shooting pains in my ankels and my toes. I some days also have pain in both knees and a feeling of weak legs.  Last week I have noticed shap, shooting, pains in my arms.  I just wanted to know if this sounds like PN  (or anyway related to hiv infection) and does it start so soon after a possible exposure?  I have taken a blood test and will get my results midweek.  I was just anxious and nervous waiting for my results.  
Welcome to our Forum. the tingling sensations you describe in no way suggest HIV of any sort.  The peripheral neuropathy associated with HIV occurred in advanced infection, after years, not weeks or days after exposure.  Try to relax.  EWH
The pain is also burning and stabbing in both legs as I type this.  Does this still hold true to your answer
No change in my answer.  As I said, there is nothing here at all suggestive of HIV.  EWH